You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

JPEG Export options - To Embed the ICC Profile (or not)?

Does anyone have any insight on when and when not to embed the ICC Profile when exporting a JPEG?

My 3rd party print house says that the most common mistake they find with image files is that people embed the ICC Profile. (They work primarily with jpeg files.) Why they would discourage the practice?

from the vendor: We do not recommend to embed the icc profile in the image file because we will print the image file with the assigned icc profile. If the ICC profile is embedded and then we will print the image file with the icc profile, both applications will produce an inaccurate color outcome. The icc profile should only be used as a guide to soft proof the image file.

I have no idea what the Pros and Cons are of embedding the profile applied to the image. My files are all RGB but on occasion CMYK is required (by a different print house). Would the answer to this question depend on if you are converting the ICC profile to CMYK or keeping it RGB? What other variables (if any) come into play?

Edited by SCunniffArt
inserting notes from vendor to clarify post

You would have to ask them why they don't want the ICC Profile, I think.

Basically if you don't include it then most software will assume a JPG file that is in RGB format is using the standard  sRGB profile. If your file is not using that profile, and you omit the profile, then it won't display properly.

I would expect similar considerations for CMYK JPG files; without the profile the software will have to make some assumption, and it may well be wrong.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You would have to ask them why they don't want the ICC Profile, I think.

Basically if you don't include it then most software will assume a JPG file that is in RGB format is using the standard  sRGB profile. If your file is not using that profile, and you omit the profile, then it won't display properly.

I would expect similar considerations for CMYK JPG files; without the profile the software will have to make some assumption, and it may well be wrong.

Thanks for this, Walt. I will check in with the vendor and find out why that's the case. 

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 2/21/2022 at 3:51 PM, SCunniffArt said:

from the vendor: We do not recommend to embed the icc profile in the image file because we will print the image file with the assigned icc profile. If the ICC profile is embedded and then we will print the image file with the icc profile, both applications will produce an inaccurate color outcome. The icc profile should only be used as a guide to soft proof the image file.

My printing service has a similar statement, and this relates to  their ICC paper proof profiles. They can be used for softproofing, but the file you send them must be in whatever they require, my service requires the standard color spaces sRGB or Adobe RGB(1998). It is not a problem to embed one of those profiles, on contrary, if nothing is embedded they assume sRGB. Just don't embed the softproof profile you have downloaded from them.

2 minutes ago, Wendelin said:

My printing service has a similar statement, and this relates to  their ICC paper proof profiles. They can be used for softproofing, but the file you send them must be in whatever they require, my service requires the standard color spaces sRGB or Adobe RGB(1998). It is not a problem to embed one of those profiles, on contrary, if nothing is embedded they assume sRGB. Just don't embed the softproof profile you have downloaded from them.

Thanks, Wendelin. Good to know this is not an unusual practice.