You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DPI issue in Aff Publisher

I am putting together a heavily illustrated book for print using Publisher 1.10.4 and I am seeing inconsistent dpi readings for the photos I am placing.

For some reason, a good number of pictures are showing 299 dpi instead of 300 dpi, despite selecting 100% image size, and manually adjusting the dpi figure. Sometimes it is either horizontal or vertical readout that is wrong, while the other is correct. I am concerned that this may impact when offset printing. Has anyone else experienced this practically? Maybe it doesn't really matter, but I do not know.

All of the images were processed in Aff Photo, and output at 300 dpi, so there should not be an issue with the images themselves.
I have attached a screen grab showing a typical readout, and the placed dpi reading in Resource Manager. Any thoughts?

image.png.7f402d6dc13291d6abf26dc293e17cbd.png

Your screenshot shows ‘1063x709 pixels @ 299dpi’. Those dimensions are (literally!) odd. Was the image exported at that size from APh?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Your screenshot shows ‘1063x709 pixels @ 299dpi’. Those dimensions are (literally!) odd. Was the image exported at that size from APh?

Not actually dimensions.
The image was exported nominally at 90mm x 60mm at 300dpi
All of the images were exported with that same procedure, but with different dimensions, as required.
On exporting from Photo, the dimensions showing up would stray slightly from the nominal size chosen (following earlier cropping to format), so that would indicate to me that the 300dpi was the overriding factor. However, when importing into Publisher there can be this anomaly.

1 hour ago, kalee said:

Not actually dimensions.
The image was exported nominally at 90mm x 60mm at 300dpi

Ah, in that case it must be caused by the rounding errors that occur when the nominal size in mm is converted to pixels. The aspect ratio changes from exactly 1.500:1 to slightly more than 1.499:1.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)