You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apple sidecar

• Staff

Hi @thomasmoulson ,

Thanks for your report!

Can you please expand on the issue you're having here? What are you referring to when you say pressure is 'awful'? (ie when using a certain tool/brush?)

If possible, please provide a screen recording showing the steps you're taking and the results in the app. Many thanks in advance :)

Awful was an unfortunate expression sorry. But I stand by that it is inadequate for proper use.. I use a Wacom drawing tablet (without a screen) but would sometimes like to use my iPad as you can’t be as accurate as when you’re drawing directly on a screen. However, practically every brush has weak pressure sensitivity whilst using sidecar.. comparing it side by side with the Wacom, the Wacom can produce nice thick marks and go back to nice thin lines whilst the iPad you have to press really hard to get the thicker lines, but even then it is not possible to produce nearly as think lines/marks as with the Wacom. So it’s all about a pressure sensitivity problem as far as I can tell.. needs recalibrating? Hope that makes sense!

Thanks 🙏 

• Staff

Many thanks for the further information provided, I certainly understand what you are referring to now!

Having checked elsewhere online, this appears to be a regularly reported issue in multiple creative applications since sidecar was introduced - 

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/sidecar-how-come-no-one-mentions-pressure-sensitivity.2190465/

Unfortunately it doesn't appear as though Apple provide direct controls for this with the iPad Sidecar feature, so I'll be logging an improvement request to see if this is a specific setting/control we can develop and implement into a future version of Affinity.

I hope this helps :)