You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I bought a Surface 8 because my old PC was broken. So I moved from windows 10 to windows 11, and in this new environment, saving files in Affinity Designer always fails.

When I try to save a file, I get the message "Saving failed. This is because access to the file was lost. Would you like to save the document to a new file?" dialog box appears. When I open the saved file, it says "Unsupported file type. and it cannot be opened. The file that cannot be opened will be a 0-byte file.

I've tried everything and the export saves fine. I was able to save the file as a Photoshop file and open it.

I also tried Affinity Photo, but it has the same problem as Affinity Designer.

I don't speak English very well, so I am asking this question with the help of a translation tool. I would like to point out that the message in the dialog box described above is a re-translation from Japanese.

Please let me know if you have a solution or tips for this.

My computer environment is as follows
AFFINITY Designer Ver 1.10.4.
OS Windows 11
PC Surface8 

• Staff

Hi @Naoto,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Can you please confirm for me:

• Are you trying to save to an internal or external hard drive?
  • Are you able to export to this location? I note you have been able to export to PSD, but I am wondering if this was saved in a different folder location?
  • Does this happen with every document in Affinity Designer, or only certain ones?

Many thanks in advance :)

Hi.

I've the same problem.

I tried to save to internal and external drive also. It is not possible to save a Affinity-File.

The export works well.

AFFINITY Photo Ver 1.10.4.1198
OS Windows 11 21H2
PC Surface 8 Pro

Thanks for Support in advance.

BR

Edited by M1ke

• Staff

Hi @M1ke,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! Does this happen for any document (including a new, blank file)? Or does this only affect certain files?

Is your version of Windows 8 fully up to date?

I'd recommend following the suggestions in the below thread regarding Windows Defender, and also my link to a further suggestion here -

Many thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan C.

Right after I asked that question, I was quarantined in a hotel facility provided by the government because I had the coronavirus. After that, I was having a hard time cleaning up the problem to my job.

Sorry I didn't notice DanC's reply. As it turns out, I have just solved the problem.
NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 cumulative updates from Windows Update were failing, but after retrying and completing them from the windows help options, I tried saving on each affinity application and it worked. It worked.

In other words, it was not a problem with Affinity, but a problem with the Windows 11 update that was not working properly.
Thank you very much for trying to help me.

Thank you again.

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

The issue "Saving Failed increasing frequency of reports" (REF: AFP-4826) has been fixed by the developers in build "2.2.1 Release".

This fix is in the current customer release.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us