You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to export svg with white background

HI

I am trying to export a drawing in Designer which has white background into .svg with also white background.

It looks like drawing with white background and without white background is exported into same .svg file (100% match).

I am changing background in Designer with File->Document Setup->transparent background (ON and OFF tick). It looks OK in Designer but has no effect on exported .svg.

EDIT:

I am attaching: 1. screenshot of document with background and without with settings shown on the screen. 2. Also I am attaching screenshot of exporting settings for svg export together with "More..." settings for document in case they are important for you. 3. resulting two documents with and without background, which are 100% same.

screenshot svg export without background.png

screenshot svg export with white background.png

screenshot Designer with settings for white background.png

screenshot Designer with settings for transparent background.png

text without background.svg text with white background.svg

Edited by Fonza
further info

2 hours ago, Fonza said:

I am trying to export a drawing in Designer which has white background into .svg with also white background.

It looks like drawing with white background and without white background is exported into same .svg file (100% match).

You probably mixed up the document settings.

As default when you create a new Document in Designer you have the choice to setup/use a transparent background or not for the document. When you don't use "a transparent background" there will be a white one.

In cases where you created a new document with a transparent background, but want to get an otherwise (no transparent) background then, just place a colored rectangle (white or whatever color you want) which covers the whole document canvas in size, to the layers panel bottom. You can lock that in the layers panel to prevent accidently removing of that background rect.

When you export as SVG check/preview in different tools (webbrowsers) how the background is handled.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I would expect this to be controlled by the Area (I think; I'm away from the computer) setting on File > Export. If you specify Selection Only you wouldn't have the background. If you have Selection with Background or Entire Document you would have it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I would expect this to be controlled by the Area (I think; I'm away from the computer) setting on File > Export. If you specify Selection Only you wouldn't have the background. If you have Selection with Background or Entire Document you would have it.

I used "Whole document" export settings settings as shown in the additionally added files. 

On 1/10/2022 at 4:18 PM, v_kyr said:

In cases where you created a new document with a transparent background, but want to get an otherwise (no transparent) background then, just place a colored rectangle (white or whatever color you want) which covers the whole document canvas in size, to the layers panel bottom. You can lock that in the layers panel to prevent accidently removing of that background rect.

I was trying to avoid drawing a rectangle in the background. 

Thanks for lock suggestion. I think I will use this one. 

EDIT:

I tried Lock after putting the rectangle at the back. It did not stay at the back. When I moved another element with icon "Move to Back" that element went behind the rectangle. It looks like "Lock" function does not keep the element at the back. 

Edited by Fonza
added info