You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Symbols question

I’m trying to make repeating patterns in AD but when I do the sync symbols he pattern won’t sync with the other art board or when I do the pattern it won’t do anything and all I get is a blank colored art board that I have done and nothing else in AD.

please tell me how I can syn both artboards together or symbols so my pattern shows up on the one artboard while I’m doing it on the other one at the same time using my ipad? In this case I’ve tried the sync symbol many times and I think it is broken when I use my iPad because nothing happens at all when syncing anything

Thanks

‘Sync symbols’ should be switched on by default, and it should stay on if you duplicate a symbol and move it to another artboard.

Open the attached file, go to the Layers Studio and expand one of the artboards. Expand the symbol on that artboard, select one of the objects and edit it: the other instance of that object will also be changed. If you create a new object and add it to one instance of the symbol it will also be added to the instance of the same symbol on the other artboard.

Artboard-Symbols.afdesign

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Josie said:

When I make a repeating pattern don’t the objects show up on both art boards while I’m doing the pattern on artboard 1? Will it automatically put my seamless pattern in art board 2 when I’m doing it in artboard 1?

Try this:

1. Create a new document with the ‘Create Artboard’ option selected.

2. Add a Vector Layer via the ‘+’ menu in the Layers Studio.

3. Go to the Symbols Studio and tap on the three-bar ‘hamburger’ menu icon.

4. Choose ‘Add Symbol from Selection’ to convert the Vector Layer into a Symbol.

5. Duplicate the artboard as many times as you like, snapping the edges of the duplicates together to form a grid.

As long as you keep them within the bounds of the containing artboard, any objects you add to a selected Vector Layer will be added to the other copies of that Symbol, so they’ll appear on all the other artboards, and any changes to those objects will be replicated throughout the grid.

Alfred spacer.png

The attached file consists of an artboard containing a Vector Layer (from steps 1 and 2 in my instructions). Open the file in AD on iPad, start your screen recorder and follow the rest of the steps. If it still goes wrong for you, please post the video here.

Josie's_polkadots.afdesign

Alfred spacer.png

Aren’t the art boards supposed to sync together when I put the ellipse on one art board and it automatically puts it on the other like in the video? It’s supposed to automatically sync on the bigger artboard when I do it on the smaller one but that’s not happening like I want it to.

Thats not happening like in the video.

9 hours ago, Josie said:

This is what I get and nothing else.

I asked for a video so I could see your steps without your having to describe them, but from your screenshots I can see that you’ve only duplicated the purple squares. In the file that I attached, there’s an artboard containing a vector layer, so even if you only duplicated the vector layer (instead of the artboard, as per my instructions) you should still have duplicates of the semicircles on that layer. The semicircles on the left in your screenshot aren’t the original ones, anyway; I had made exact copies of the ones you sent me, which were smaller and all the same size (and also a lighter shade of green).

If you don’t want to post a video, please post at least two screenshots of the fully expanded Layers Studio: one screenshot just before you duplicate the first artboard, and one or more after you’ve duplicated it.

Alfred spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot how to do the repeating pattern as in the video above, there is a way on my iPad that when I make a pattern on artboard 1 it will automatically do,it on artboard 2 as well.

Please help me figure this out I figured it out once before and now I can’t figure it out again. Can’t remember

what I did and what steps I took.

repeating pattern.png

5 hours ago, Josie said:

I forgot how to do the repeating pattern as in the video above, there is a way on my iPad that when I make a pattern on artboard 1 it will automatically do,it on artboard 2 as well.

It worked for me when I did as I described here:

Did you try that with my file or your own?

5 hours ago, Josie said:

Please help me figure this out I figured it out once before and now I can’t figure it out again. Can’t remember

what I did and what steps I took.

As I said a couple of weeks ago (Happy New Year, by the way!):

At the risk of repeating myself:

On 12/20/2021 at 9:51 AM, Alfred said:

If you don’t want to post a video, please post at least two screenshots of the fully expanded Layers Studio: one screenshot just before you duplicate the first artboard, and one or more after you’ve duplicated it.

Alfred spacer.png

• 1 year later...

If this is so doggoned, dingdanged easy to do, why not just create a Seamless Tile Template and bundle it with Affinity Designer?

I'm using AFD2 on a Mac.  And damned if I can figure it out.  It's supposed to be dirt simple.

Tain't working.

Apparently it's possible to create an offset Seamless Tile which looks more professional.  

Better yet, just add Seamless Tile functionality into Affinity Designer.  Make it dead simple.  Call it something no one would ever think to look for:  "Seamless Tile" Tool.

Maybe AFD3 or AFD4.