You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Combine 2 layers with their selection masks into one

Hi All,

Fairly basic question here. I was trying to figure out how to combine to selections on the same photo and couldn't find the modifier key to do it.

So I created the selection across 2 layers with 2 masks. Now how do I combine the selections into one layer with a one layer mask?

I know there is probably an easier way to do this, but I am not that good with affinity photo yet.

Thanks

Dan

;)  l worked my problem some more on my own and solved it.

I selected the one mask by CMD+clicking the mask icon, then hit Q for quick mask, then CMD + clicked the other mask icon and this gave me the marching ants around the other part of my drawing.

I then painted white in the selection with the brush on the quick mask layer. Hitting Q again left me with a selection around both items. I then CMD + click on the new mask icon to add a new mask.

I then had to delete the old mask icons by moving them to their own layer then deleting it.

If anyone knows how to make multiple selections on the same layer I would be interested in knowing.

Dan

• 6 years later...

Hi there

I am on a MacPro from 2009 running Monterey 12.3 with open core 4.3 and the latest Affinity Photo Beta 10.5.1.270 and have finally been able to select and add various masks thanks to your instructions above. This is a time consuming process because of how affinity treats masks  not because of your solution. Have you discussed this with support to see if we can get an add/subtract method as in Photoshop?

I don't know how difficult it is to do, but it sure would be nice to able to just add and subtract masks with a button

Have you discussed this with the support staff?

Thanks for figuring this out, it is brilliant