You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

List numbering restarts after a bulleted sublist

Paul.F

I often want to format numbered lists, with a bullet point sub-list under some of the items. But the top-level numbering restarts if I use bullets. Here's an example where I've formatted using "Numbered 1" for the top level and "Bullet 2" for the second level (the paragraph spacing was edited from the defaults but nothing else).
1460412809_Numberingrestart.png.feceb6d88d946ebeb92e6a1829ee1055.png

The top-level numbering doesn't restart if I use "Numbered 2" for the second level list. Interestingly, the top-level numbering also doesn't restart if I use "Bullet 2" for the sub-list, but make the last item in the sub-list "Numbered 2":
1666083713_Top-levelnumberingOKwithbulletsandnumbered2.png.8b796aece35045119e121274f9c39a8c.png

• Staff

Hi Paul F,
Welcome to the forums :)

you should need to change Restart numbering from Any Non List to Below Current Level for the Numbered 1 Text Style or go into the Paragraph Panel and select it from there.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thanks Callum - Changing "Numbered 1" to "Restart numbering: Below Current Level" fixes one list but creates a new problem where any further lists carry on the top-level numbering, rather than starting from "1" again:

image.png.2204f0b0534cfb46cf771910f03f660a.png

It seems to me that "Restart numbering: Any Non List" should mean that bullets *do not* reset the number by definition (as bullets are a list). And I also believe that is a sensible default behaviour (i.e. the first list in my image above is how people would generally expect the numbering to apply to a numbered/bullet list combo) so that's why I felt this was a bug.

Lists.afpub

• 7 months later...

I'm having this same issue.  Has there been a resolution or instructions how to do this?

Can't get the numbering to restart at the lines I want it to but continue in other places.

Have a mix of numbered and non-numbered lines.

I don't recommend this as a general practice, but you can go into the paragraph properties on a numbered list paragraph and make the start number whatever you want.  So if you can't hack the styles to do what you want automatically, you can repair any numbered list that restarts when you don't want it to restart.