You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Destructive color adjustments

Hi

I want to be able to do destructive color adjustments like in Photoshop. It's fast and intuitive. I don't always want to have my layers cluttered up with more adjustment layers, even if they go underneath it. I have had multiple issues where things will go underneath something else and just not apply like multiple tutorials said. I have found myself dragging things on other things trying to figure out if it's the order and it doesn't work as described.

Instead of forcing users to use what someone else thinks should be their best practice, I'd like to be able to just make my adjustment and go. It makes more sense to my processes. I am working on something and the adjustment layer thing really messed it up because it also applied it to the effects on that layer. Allowing the ability for destructive color adjustments adds flexibility.

I've been working on an image for 3 hours. I'd have this done in Photoshop in 15. Not all users want to be power users to learn best practice, some just want to do it quick and how they've done it for years. It encourages people to convert to Affinity Photo and if they feel comfortable with it they will suggest others to have it as well.

Please add this feature.

For your desired workflow, assuming you're working with pixel layers:

1. Select the pixel layer you want to affect, using the Layers panel.
  2. Add the kind of adjustment you want, using the icon at the bottom of the Layers panel, or using the Layer > New Adjustment menu, or the Adjustments panel.
  3. When you're done with the adjustment settings, click the Merge button in the adjustment settings.

The Merge button won't work for vector items, though. But it sounds like you haven't yet come to grips with where you drop items in the Layers panel. If you have specific examples that don't work, we can help with that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1