You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

App crashes after creating and using a symbol

joanroig

I was trying to draw half of a character and use a symbol to complete the other half without needing to redraw or copypaste all vectors.

After creating and pasting a symbol, I flipped the symbol horizontally and then the app crashed.

I tried it again and same, then I tried doing it again and saving, then I was not able to open my document again.

I attach the affected document, I had similar problems in the last weeks when operating with symbols.

- App version 1.10.1, Windows.

- Hardware acceleration was on, but I cannot open the document when on and off.

llama.afdesign

Hello @joanroig and welcome to the forums.

I can open the file, but when I open the layer view, Designer, Photo and Publisher crash.

Open Designer and make sure the Layers tab is not selected and no layers are displayed.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Hey @Komatös you are right! At least I can recover it :) many many thanks.

I always have the layers on a side, if I open the document and remove the symbol then everything works again.

Now I tried re-doing the same symbol and seems like there are no more crashes. May it be because I had hardware acceleration on when I did the symbol first?

2 minutes ago, joanroig said:

... May it be because I had hardware acceleration on when I did the symbol first?

I don't think it was due to the status of the hardware acceleration. But I don't want to commit myself to that either.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Hi @joanroig I tried to open the file on my Mac and it crashed, even with the layers tab closed. I have the crash log so will get someone to take a look at it.

I have managed to open it on Windows by following @Komatös's advice above. I also created a symbol of my own with Open CL activated and haven't been able to get it to crash. I think the cause will have some other / additional prerequisites. Did you add a colour tag? Was the image created in Designer or imported from somewhere else?

@SPaceBar I started a project from scratch, and copied the group "Phantom" from another project I also created from scratch, and then I drawed everything. After that I grouped the llama, made the symbol and used it. I did not use colour tags.

I noticed a way to reproduce the crash:

• Open the project as @Komatös explained, with the layers tab hidden.
  • Remove the right half of the llama (it's the symbol). When I open the file it appears as selected for me, I only need to press delete to remove it.
  • Then drag and drop the symbol again and flip it with Transform -> Flip Horizontal.
  • Now if I try to open the layers the app crashes, sometimes it does not crash instantly but crashes when I select any element of the drawing.

I hope this helps, otherwise I can try to record a video.

Thanks!

What if you  open the layers before drag & drop the symbol? 

I am too tired now to try it myself.  🤪

Everything works fine then, I can edit and work normally. Somehow using the symbol after flipping it occasionates the problem. If I remove the symbol from the symbols panel and I recreate it, I can use it, flip it and work normally.

Seems like the symbol attached in the document I sent here is the root of the problem, but I did nothing strange to create it, just select the top llama group and create the symbol. I am unable to recreate a buggy symbol from scratch :(

Hi @joanroig Could you upload the original document that contained the group "Phantom" so I can try and find out what is being copied over to case the crash in this document. Not being able to open the layer tab limits how much I can look at this document.

I recreated the crash on Windows by just opening the layers tab as @Komatös suggested.