You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer - Selection Brush Tool & Flood Fill Tool - how to consistently, successfully use them?

Hi smart folks! I'm having trouble using the Selection Brush Tool in Pixel Persona (AF Designer).

1. I experiment with different brush widths, but most of the time I can't seem to successfully select the exact area I want. Sometimes it works perfectly, but most of the time it drives me crackers! Screenshots attached, showing how the selection is really rough, and jumps into an adjacent area even with a small brush width.

Shot1.thumb.png.894d4bc5a83df8708738fe8196b50b30.png

Shot2.thumb.png.47ea5bdd4816658bc4776fe7f52e88e5.png

2. And how do I get the flood fill to fill an area properly, without leaving raggedy edges? (3rd & 4th screenshots attached) I know I had a high tolerance figure, but then when I lowered it the fill didn't work at all :(

And regardless of where the pixel layer is, you can still see the ragged edges.

Shot3.png.104d1bd84f247534602a2d897850d6ef.png

Shot4.jpg.d1e69b7f19ff8e3edc93ff04fa11be13.jpg

It looks so easy on the tutorials!

Thank you, Catherine

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lee, my apologies for missing your post! I'm so sorry, I just didn't see a notification.

I will attach the file (it's a Chinese zodiac rat) - the close-up screenshots above are the rat's ear.

Since I posted this I have been advised that I should be able to do everything I want in Export/vector mode, but I have yet to figure out how. I wondered if I might be able to create a shape from curves (e.g. the clouds and the rat itself in the attached), and then just Fill them as I would normally with a shape. But I can't seem to get the curves to create a fillable shape - I've tried Add, Merge etc but nothing keeps the curves exactly as I've drawn them yet joined together to make a fillable shape.

Any advice gratefully received.

Kind regards, Catherine

ChineseRatTEST.afdesign