You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Installation corrupted after exporting file

The Installation is totally corrupt and won't boot at all, nothing works and I can't open files or boot from desktop. This has happened twice now and each time it requires a total reinstall to fix. All I did was try to export a file to .tiff on default settings, I hit export & lots of error messages flashed up. Windows 10 crashed to blue screen. I managed to reboot it & can open other files & programs but each time I try to open the install it gives an error reading "This app can't open, Check the Windows Store for more info about Affinity Photo." The export failed and produced nothing. I was attempting to overwrite an old version of the tiff which wasn't deleted or corrupted and I can open it fine with other photo editing software. I am just about to do a reinstall of affinity photo from Microsoft store which will hopefully fix the problem (again).

• Staff

Hey jseawater,

If you got the blue screen (BSoD) then that suggests a catastrophic hardware or driver failure somewhere. Affinity is not capable of actually causing a BSoD.

I'd recommend removing your graphics drivers and installing fresh ones - do not simply check for updates and install those.

I will try that, I updated bios a few months ago, it is possible it is just a coincidence that I was exporting a file when the BSoD occurred, My system is the first graphics focused machine I have had so it bit of a mashup of parts, I am running a HP z220 work station with 32GB ram intel i7-3770 & dual Nvidia GeForce GT 710. This is one of the first times actually loading the machine properly as I just upgraded from an older Dell gaming rig,(same time as I updated bios) I had some stability issues where the machine would complete crash & BSoD randomly when I first got it, do you think they may be related? Thank for the advice though.

• Staff

Have you had a look in the Windows Event Viewer? 

There should be guides on the internet to locate the logs.

It could be that you need to try re-seating the RAM, updating GPU drivers etc. 

You can try the usual stuff like sfc /scannow in cmd prompt