You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is AP's "Live Filter Layer" the same as Photoshop's "Smart Filter"?

Thinking about switching from Photoshop to Affinity Photo. Have lots of comparison questions.

I use Smart Objects and Smart Filters a lot in my compositing work on Photoshop. Is AP's "Live Filter Layer" the same thing? Thanks.

• MacBook Pro 15 Retina, i7 Quad Core, 1TB NVME SSD, 16GB, NVIDIA, macOS 10.13.6, Wacom Cintiq
  • Mac Mini, i5, 16GB, 500GB SSD's (2), macOS 10.11.6
  • Custom PC, MSI ACE Motherboard, Intel 4.1GHz, 64GB, NVIDIA, PCIe M.2 NVME SSD's (3), XP-PEN Artist 22E Tablet Monitor

Affinity's Live Filter Layers offer similar functionality as Smart Filters. You can revisit the filter at any time and adjust the parameters.

Smart Objects are more complex. The specification covers a number of functionalities. You may or may not find an equivalent functionality in Affinity. What is up that you want to do?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Thanks John. I use Smart Objects in PS mostly for sharpening filters and the Transform tool.

I use Transform to change the size of objects composited into the image without degrading the resolution of the original object. As a Smart Object, I can shrink the size of an imported object, but still have the option to come back and increase the size again at its original resolution -- no loss of pixels. Can I do that in Affinity Photo?

Rich

• MacBook Pro 15 Retina, i7 Quad Core, 1TB NVME SSD, 16GB, NVIDIA, macOS 10.13.6, Wacom Cintiq
  • Mac Mini, i5, 16GB, 500GB SSD's (2), macOS 10.11.6
  • Custom PC, MSI ACE Motherboard, Intel 4.1GHz, 64GB, NVIDIA, PCIe M.2 NVME SSD's (3), XP-PEN Artist 22E Tablet Monitor