You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I think the ability to add a pin to a layer to keep it from moving in the layer stack would be a welcomed feature. I often use a reference layer at the top of the layer stack set to multiply at 50% as a guide for my work. I find myself having to move this layer back to the top often and a way to pin it would be ideal.

The addition of a small pin icon or the option in the layer panel flyout to lock the layer position in the stack would be a simple way to implement it.

"Global layers" as we have been referring to them and as have been brought up in various other threads would solve this neatly without the need for a specialized "pin to top" feature, so I would put forth that implementation of global layers should be prioritized yet further rather than adding in more of these work-arounds.

On 8/21/2021 at 3:45 AM, fde101 said:

"Global layers" as we have been referring to them and as have been brought up in various other threads would solve this neatly without the need for a specialized "pin to top" feature, so I would put forth that implementation of global layers should be prioritized yet further rather than adding in more of these work-arounds.

Yes I can see Global Layers as a good solution for APub but for Designer a simple pin layer in position per document or per artboard is what I'm needing. How do you see global layers working in Designer?

On 8/22/2021 at 4:53 PM, retrograde said:

Yes I can see Global Layers as a good solution for APub but for Designer a simple pin layer in position per document or per artboard is what I'm needing. How do you see global layers working in Designer?

Important to remember that the programs accept each others' files, so a solution for one of them needs to work for all of them.  They could work the same way in Designer that they could in Publisher; there is nothing preventing "global layers" from being used in a document with only one page.

Also, consider that "pin layer in position" does not do anything like what you are asking for.  What are you pinning it relative to?  If you pin it "in position" how does that prevent other layers from being added on top of it?  It is still in position (relative to the other existing layers), but the new layers have an even higher position...  something like that can only work if it is "pin to top" or "pin to bottom"; if you do that, you have effectively created a less generalized version of global layers (one with three layers: pinned to top, unpinned, pinned to bottom), as there still needs to be a way to relatively position multiple layers which have this property relative to each other.