You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

intensity brushes with different greyscales

Hi all maybe this has been asked before but I couldn't find it But I would like to create an intesity brush using different greyscales so that when painting with the brush you would get different shades or saturations of the colour so say a brush made from 3 dots one black one a dark to mid grey tone and one with a lighter grey would yeild a brush that when you painted with it  in your chosen colours say a brown tone you would get a brush that painted in three shades of brown based on the greytones in the brush texture.  Is this currently possible?

When you create an Intensity Brush the different grey tones determine the opacity (black = fully opaque, white = fully transparent) which would give the effect of different shades when painting on a neutral background, but it sounds as though you want different shades at full opacity. I’m afraid I don’t know of a way to achieve the latter.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

When I create an intensity brush using the "create brush from selection" method all shades of grey create the same opacity level when I use the export png create new intensity brush method then it works as you describe.  hmmm......  I'm using the latest release version, perhaps I've found a bug?  I think I will test this out further in the current beta and see what I find.  if it still happens in the beta I'll post full steps and screenshots in that forum

In the meantime,  yes I was hoping that there was a way to create the brush so grey scales could be set to saturation values instead  for example black would be fully saturated and white would  be fully desaturated.   but I suppose could get the results I'm after by creating full colour image brushes