You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot use large brushes above 213px

Hello, I've moved to a brand new 16GB iMac 2021 (having been a long term windows user). I'm having problems with 1.9.3.  Brushes larger than 213 px work extremely slowly so that the preview is unusable.  Indeed brushes 214 px or larger are very difficult to get onto the canvas let alone the image. They sort of cling to the toolbar interface.  With vigorous use of the mouse the cursor jumps across the canvas to the other toolbar.  Even if the Welcome window is displayed in the middle of the screen the cursor clings to that. Very odd. I've incrementally increased the brush side and found 213px is the threshold.  I've tried turning off the preview and crosshair preferences to no avail.  I've also tried turning off the Metal acceleration. Again this made no difference.  This is the same in photo persona or develop persona.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times and it has made no difference. Any ideas?

7 hours ago, gridref said:

Indeed brushes 214 px or larger are very difficult to get onto the canvas let alone the image. They sort of cling to the toolbar interface.  ....

How large is the canvas/document you are working with? what is the dpi / ppi of the document? Are you using a basic brush?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

How large is the canvas/document you are working with? what is the dpi / ppi of the document? Are you using a basic brush?

Hi - I've tried a range of docs.  I'm opening Canon CR2s from my 7D - about 12MB - 4368px 2912. Nothing I haven't opened hundreds of times without issue in Windows 10. Basic brush; even just adding basic colour to a pixel layer.  Working below 200px brush size works a treat. Anything much larger, then the preview circle freezes and sticks to the tool interface while the actual brush does eventually  go to work on the canvas. Not very smooth though - jerky and unpredictable.

12 minutes ago, gridref said:

the preview circle freezes and sticks to the tool interface 

What do you mean by "tool interface"?

To be clear I use Mac, I use the one window consolidated view. So everything is attached to the frame that holds the tabs with the files/photos/images open in them.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

What do you mean by "tool interface"?

To be clear I use Mac, I use the one window consolidated view. So everything is attached to the frame that holds the tabs with the files/photos/images open in them.

Hopefully the video shows the issue.

2 minutes ago, gridref said:

Hopefully the video shows the issue.

Okay, that is messed up. I run it essentially the same way, and the movie shows what is happening quite well.

Do you have a non Apple mouse or trackpad or graphics tablet for input?

5 minutes ago, gridref said:

I'm new to Macs so I don't know if I have some wayward setting.  

Now I am grasping at straws for this one... Are the Affinity applications in the Mac's Application folder?

442547795_ScreenShot2021-07-10at1_42_06PM.png.8f851cb446c880df114e20aac2042f83.png

9 hours ago, gridref said:

I've moved to a brand new 16GB iMac 2021

How did you install the applications onto the new iMac? Myself I distrust both Migration Assistant and installing from a Time Machine Backup. Files get missed. I prefer to start with a clean OS and add the Applications and then the Documents.

Clean download from a fresh purchase on the Affinity website straight after first setting up the new machine. Uninstalled and re-downloaded several times to try to sort the issue. Even tried the Beta this afternoon which made no difference.  Apps all in the Application folder.  New Apple mouse 2 and a Trackpad 2 as well. Both have the same effect.  Bit of a headscratcher.

1 hour ago, gridref said:

New Apple mouse 2 and a Trackpad 2 as well.

The use of two input devices is going to be the source of the problem. Turn off the mouse, pull the batteries out and hide it away. Just use one or the other.

Just my opinion but ... Apple mice are and have always been [expletive deleted].

Trackpad is fine.

11 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

The use of two input devices is going to be the source of the problem. Turn off the mouse, pull the batteries out and hide it away. Just use one or the other.

Just my opinion but ... Apple mice are and have always been [expletive deleted].

Trackpad is fine.

Alas, just tried turning off each of them and just using the one. Same result.