You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

10bit finally comes to mac

I´ve read really nice news this evening ...I was looking for news regarding Affinity (seeing what the press says about it) and then I discovered this article (german) http://www.heise.de/mac-and-i/meldung/iMacs-lernen-10-Bit-Farbwiedergabe-2854496.html#mobile_detect_force_desktop

1. it´s noteworthy that they mention Affinity along with PS - that says something ;)

2. my iMac 5k (just after release - one of the early ones) seems to have 10bit support now 

the Monitor Info says "30-Bit Farbe (ARGB2101010)" and I checked the file they provided 

- it looked bad in PS 

- after TIFF export it looked nice in Preview

< they said there are not APIs available yet so the (non Apple) Apps cannot use the 10bit support yet 

< it´s not a real feature request as I guess Affinity will be among the first to support this API asap anyway

and I noticed how slow PS is and that AP can render the gradient better than PS (or maybe I´d have to make some settings in PS but I thing dithering was turned on)

But the main exiting thing is that my iMac actually got a nice upgrade through the software (otherwise I would be very angry) but thats just fine :) 

I also checked the file on my late 2012 MBPr and this one actually did not get 10bit support. (maybe not a huge surprise but at least I noticed the difference so I think I saw an actual improvement on the iMac and was not cheated by my eyes)

Im talking about the display which also says 32bit (4x8 / RGBA). I´ve got an Eizo at a friends desk so I could give that a try but I really don´t think it would work - and I´m currently not sure bout it´s capabilities. 

So I´m pretty sure it just does not work ;)