You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Character interpretation error with Italian keyboard in Publisher

In Publisher version for MAC Desktop the Italian keyboard character ' is interpreted with the character >>. Using ASCII characters also cannot solve this problem. You have to copy the character from another program and paste in publisher and then replace the character >> with the correct one throughout the text. Try writing this word

l'uomo

and see that Publischer writes

l>>uomo

Preferences > Auto-Correct > disable "Change straight quotes to typographic quotes"

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

4 hours ago, Lagarto said:

I would turn off "Support language dependent single typographic quotes",

Ah, haven't even noticed this one yet.
I'm turning everything off anyway, right from the start.
As in: I don't want the software to be smarter that me… :D

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 minute ago, Lagarto said:

Some people welcome this kind of development while others want to preserve national peculiarities and house rules.

For casual use like typing here, I'm fine with the "straight typewriter quotes", but for the real thing, I love the «Swiss peculiarities»! Especially because you can easily distinguish between single quotes and apostrophes.

Speaking of which, it reminds me of InDesign's annoying defaults, always auto-replacing straight ' apostrophes with "don›t", "can›t" on importing 3rd party text files, based on my "German (Swiss)" spelling preferences. Until I figured out that I must create a custom import filter that will strip absolutely all formating from imported RTF/doc documents and leave all characters as is. What a relief it was!