You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

For a few applications, e.g. with shapes with the 3d effect, it's important to be able to visually "cut" a hole in the shape without actually altering the original shape. It's also useful in general to be able to remove a shape's area from a drawing without having to mess around with subtracting the shape or shapes from (especially since the order of the layers sometimes gets messed up if you don't subtract the shape from each shape individually, which means a lot of copy-pasting). So I'm asking if it's possible to set a shape to act as a visual "removal" effect. If it's not clear what I mean, I mean that, if a shape is set like this, the area where the cutting-out shape is should show the background, visually overriding layers below it that might otherwise be visible there.

EDIT: Turns out the Erase blendmode is what I'm looking for.

Do you mean a compound? Select both your element and the hole, keep the Alt key pressed and click on the Subtract button.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

8 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Do you mean a compound? Select both your element and the hole, keep the Alt key pressed and click on the Subtract button.

No, I specifically want to avoid a compound; I mentioned the issues I have with using Subtract for this (alters the appearance of shapes with the 3d effect applied to them, gets finicky with layer ordering and grouping) in my original post. What I'm looking for is effectively a way to create an inverted version of a mask.

That being said, I ended up finding the solution I was looking for: the Erase blendmode.