You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Make Tools dock like any panel, on any side

That's the one feature that makes working with Affinity Designer maddening to me. I have a Dell monitor and a XP-Pen Artist 15.6 Pro, a display tablet with shortcut keys, and two of those are set to throw windows around monitors. Also, a key on my pen allows me to change between monitors without the need to use a mouse. So I'm drawing on Designer using the Artist Pro, and then see that I need to tweak a texture to better fit my work. Since Photo is also opened on the Artist Pro, I throw Designer to my monitor.

Now, here's the issue: I'm right handed, and the tools are docked all the way on the left. I want them on the right, closer to my hand, and to get that I have to undock the panel and keep it floating on the right. All fine and dandy until I throw the Designer windows to my Monitor. Guess what's left behind? That's right, the Tools panel. So i have now to grab the mouse and drag the tools back to its place. It a small thing to do until you do it everyday, multiple times a day...

So, can you please please please let me dock the Tools panel on the right? Illustrator allows it, and I can't understand why Designer can't.

Edited by macchinario

+ 1000!
Being right-handed, I never place my pencils at the left-hand side of the table!

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, macchinario said:

is there anyone from Affinity around to give an insight?

Not in the "Feedback" forum. But they have likely read it.

P.S. "Affinity" is the name of the apps. The company name is Serif.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2