You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way I can use the pen tool -> selection to subtract from an existing selection?

I'd like to subtract a complex shape from a selection. I can create a shape using the pen tool and convert it to a selection, but that just replaces my current selection. Is there any way I can make that shape subtract? Thanks!

• Staff

Hi @Bedwyr,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm assuming you are using Affinity Photo. Is this 
correct?
Currently it's possible to add a shape directly to a selection, however due to the lack of modifier keys it's not possible to subtract. You can however save the selections as Spare Channels (Select > Save > Selection As Spare Channel) and use the Channels panel to perform add/subtract/intersect operations between them (right-click a spare channel in the Channels panel to access the command to subtract it from the current pixel selection). You can use this command to save your existing selection so you don't lose it.

Alternatively if possible/applicable in your case (if there's no opacity gradation in the selections), you can use the Pen and Shapes tools to create paths which you can manipulate (add, subtract etc through geometry operations) to get the shape/output you need and then convert it to a selection. 

Ok, so if I have your suggested workflow right, you make two separate selections and save them as spare channels. Then you can do boolean operations on those two channels and get the result I'm looking for. Do I have that right?

• Staff

Generically speaking yes. Here's an example: let's suppose you already have the two selections saved as spare channels and no selection active. Right-click the first/main spare-channel and select Load To Pixel Selection to load it as a selection, then right-click the second spare-channel (the one you want to subtract from the main selection) and select Subtract From Pixel Selection. You then end up with the second selection subtracted from the main selection (a hole in the main selection).

Ok, thanks. I'm just trying to get a sense for what my workflow or best practice should be going forward. I found myself having a complex but clear selection of pixelized text and realized afterward I wanted to subtract another non-text part of that layer so I could deal with them separately. While I could use lassos and magnetic lassos, I just found for these shapes that I like dealing with bezier curves more.