You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to export vector shapes for easy re-use?

I'm using the latest Affinity Designer on iPad. The export dialog has a lot of features and possibilities, and I'm having difficulty finding the right settings to do what I want, which is to export a vector shape as something I can later re-import--In Affinity Designer on iPad or Affinity Publisher on Desktop--to use as a shape or convert to a mask.

If I export to EPS, for example, I can place the shape in another document, but it comes in as an embedded document layer, not just the shape, which makes it a pain to work with. I have learned how to copy the shape out of the embedded layer so I can paste it into the outer doc and then delete the embedded layer, but it would be nice if I could find a cleaner way. I thought maybe exporting as PSD would help, but that just makes the embedded doc harder to work with.

Is there a right way to create and save simple vector shapes for easy loading and re-use in other, more complex documents?

Turn them into Assets, rather than Exporting them?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

As Walt has suggested once you have your vector shape the way you want it  Make sure it's selected Open the assets panel.  If you do not see the panel you will need to go view > studio  click assets in the list to enable it. The assets panel should now be on the left of your screen.  The assets panel will have a few categories of stuff that comes with Affinity you can easily add your own categories.  At the top right of the assets panel you will see a menu button click that and you will have options to add your own categories rename categories and more.  Under that next to the subcategory name is another menu if you click that you get another menu that allows you to rename your subcategories move them up and down and at the bottom Add from Selection.  click that and affinity will add your selected item as an asset.

You can export your assets category to another location on your computer as a back up through the main assets menu (top Button) as well as import assets that you have saved or downloaded.  This way assets can be installed on all three apps if you have them all