You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bad pantone behaviour

jakup

Hello, I was preparing a file for the print and it took me about 4h + 45 tries to complete :/

1. I was designing a package with cmyk + pantone parts (just one, global pantone + cmyk colors). The design had couple of pantone ribbons - i wanted to make it gradient, so i used tint option in gradient menu to make one part lighter (It's hard as hell to make it work like you want using this weird tint tool, it just do what it wants ;d ...).

What I did and what happened?

- I made global pantone color

- I designed one ribbon

- I made gradient with spot color on ribbon,

- I duplicated it,

After export to X1 pdf, the first ribbon was in spot color, the second wasn't ...

It looks like when you copy an element with global spot color - it loses ability to keep the pantone color (it somehow converts itself to cmyk).

What i did to make all ribons correct? I just merged them first and then made gradient using gradient tool. It's the only way to make all ribbons in design in spot color.

2. The second thing is, that there was a pixel photo (masked) above ribbon (hand :)). When this photo was present - the ribbon changes itself to cmyk values (in coreldraw, when you do same thing, it's all fine).

What i did to make it work?

I made the vector shape and placed hand inside it (I traced all fingers, it took some time :x).

Please add this bugs to roadmap. Also.... If anyone knows how to do tints in pantone colors (instead of using opacity tool - it doesn't work when you put the pantone object on something else rather than blank space) - please tell me :)

PS I cannot attach the original file of this job. 

Zrzut ekranu 2021-04-15 o 18.19.59.png

Hi @jakup The best way to ensure you only have to edit once it to create a Master page that contains the pantone colour ribbon. Then when the customer asks for changes it's a single change to the Master page which is then applied to all pages that have the Master page applied to them. 

That saying, the other issues you mention like the copy changing colour and the ribbon changing when the photo was present need looking into. Can you upload your document here so I can take a closer look please?