You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Aligning points added to a series of curves while placing them? [SOLVED]

I was wondering if it's possible to, when adding a point to a series of curves, align the placement of the new point so that while it snaps on the nearest preexisting line of the shape, it keeps either the horizontal or vertical position of a previously-made point.

While I'm aware this can be done manually after placing them, I'm curious if there's a way to do so while placing the points, since symmetrically adding points to a shape (so that I can adjust the angle of an endpoint without changing the angles in the rest of the shape) is pretty common in my workflow.

[EDIT]: I seem to be cursed to be unable to find the solutions to questions while searching or pressing/hovering over buttons until after having posted about it. The Snap option to "align to curves of selected nodes" accomplishes exactly this.

Edited by NullAllocationError
Found how to accomplish this

3 hours ago, NullAllocationError said:

[EDIT]: I seem to be cursed to be unable to find the solutions to questions while searching or pressing/hovering over buttons until after having posted about it. The Snap option to "align to curves of selected nodes" accomplishes exactly this.

Glad to hear that you found the solution, and thank you for posting it. Far too many forum members replace the original text of their post with something like ‘Never mind, I found the answer!’ instead of leaving information that could be helpful to other users.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)