You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open Path - Curve Boolean Behaviour.

Help. I just brought affinity recently, and still working on getting used to this.
I usually create shapes and cut them using a path, or open curve. But the affinity's boolean function always sees an open path as a closed path.
How to achieve the expected result like the image below?

image.png.c8e51dcbec68dad365abe61036e9d757.png

Edited by mdfm28

@mdfm28 As of yet there isn't a knife tool.  Probably the easiest way, in my opinion, is to use the Expand Stroke to change the stroke into a closed shape with parallel sides.  Then do a subtract.  You would end up with a compound object so you would either click on Divide or Separate curves to make 2 separate objects.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

3 hours ago, mdfm28 said:

How to achieve the expected result like the image below?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

18 hours ago, loukash said:

Thank you. I should have searched for existing threads before posts this. But I was panicking because I had work that had to be done that day.

My workaround was pretty similar to that. Duplicate Lines, make it a whole shapes and use subtract. But not only it was two times the work, but creating a shape/blob shape from a line is frustrating. because I haven't figure out yet how to reusing the pen tool from an open path.
So I had to manually hide all the other layer, create a new path, aligned to that line, merge the points to create a subtract shape.

I will spend more time with this program and read more from existing threads so that I can found a workflow that I comfortable with.

Edited by mdfm28
formatting error

1 minute ago, mdfm28 said:

I will spend more time with this program and read more from existing threads so that I can found a workflow that I comfortable with

Yeah, that's what I've been doing for the past few months, after finally deciding it's time to leave Adobe CS5 behind for good, wherever possible. Sadly, in certain specific workflows it's still not possible, either due to silly bugs or missing specific tools.

But the general "key to successful Affinity transition" seems to be getting rid of what I call the Schmadobe Mindset™, after being brainwashed for the past two or three decades with their vision of DTP. Some Affinity workflows are different, and if you're coming from Adobe, "unusual" at first. But mostly they work just as well, sometimes even better. At least compared to CS5. (Disclosure: I was a "Freehand guy" before Adobe killed it. There never was any "love" for Illfrustrator on my part. Except that some of its tools "just work", reliably.)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2