You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export PDF (With bleed) only exporting bleed on 1/4 edges. Also rasterizing page

I have a 400+ page document that I exported for print (with bleed) included. I have actually printed the book only to discover one of the spreads didn't export it's bleed correctly. Literally only one spread is messed up.

I've reopened the document and everything looks fine and normal on that page to me. Every time I export those pages they are getting completely rasterized (even text), and the bleed only gets exported on the inside edge.

I can send through the file, I just don't want to make it available publicly.

I'm using Publisher 1.9.1

Screenshots below of the page inside Publisher, and then the weirdly exported PDF.

Screen_Shot_2021-03-11_at_9_40.29_am.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 5.08.45 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 5.08.36 pm.png

@Pauls yeah that explains rasterisation of the sub-groups. I don't fully see how that would rasterise siblings (like the text) which are not under a blur effect. I assume that would still be some kind of bug.

I also wouldn't expect this to affect the bleed on export either?

Weird issue, I know.

Although that being said. I just tried rasterising the three groups which have the blur effect applied. Those pages are no longer rasterised (text is vector) and the bleed exports properly as well. Suuuuper weird.

Although I have no idea how it works under the hood, my best guess is the size of that image (that gets blurred) is too much for the export process, and it gives up and dumps memory unexpectedly (and silently).

8 hours ago, jeremysom said:

I don't fully see how that would rasterise siblings (like the text) which are not under a blur effect. I assume that would still be some kind of bug.

My observations on a similar topic:

To avoid unnecessary rasterizing of text and vector objects when exporting for CMYK print, try the PDF/X-4 preset. And hope that your print house supports it…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2