You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Weird font rendering/spacing

Hey Affinity Team,

I wanted to edit a pdf and delete some pictures in it when I discovered, that the text was rendered in a weird way. A picture is attached. 
You can see there, that for example the letters after "ä" are spaced in the wrong way. The same thing happens with letters like ü, ö or even ß. Those letters are used quite often in Germany.

I use Affinity Publisher on an iMac with OSX 10.13.6, but have the same problems on a Mac Mini M1. 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-08 um 09.16.53.png

Edited by redmetz

On 3/8/2021 at 9:20 AM, redmetz said:

the letters after "ä" are spaced in the wrong way. The same thing happens with letters like ü, ö or even ß

Which font?

Edited by loukash
compacted *.mov to to *.mp4

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

43 minutes ago, redmetz said:

I wanted to edit a pdf

Ah, I've missed that ^ part…

Well, that's not unusual because 1) fonts in PDFs are embedded in a special way, and 2) Affinity apps are not exactly brilliant in interpreting PDFs correctly, especially when it comes to embedded fonts.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q=pdf embedded fonts

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I use Helvetica as well, but I think it has something to do with the pdf being made editable. When I create a new text field and type an ä, I don't have spacing issues. 

So there's no workaround? 

Edited by redmetz

What's the origin of the PDF?
Open it in Preview, select Werkzeuge > Informationen einblenden

10 minutes ago, redmetz said:

So there's no workaround?

PDF was never meant as an editable format (and there are so many applications who think they write a correct PDF), so as a workaround I would define text styles with a correct spacing and apply them to the text.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed