You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mostly a question of curiosity.

When I cut and past an image from one document to another (a monthly newsletter for the local Land-Rover club), the image lands right where it was on the page of the originating document.  If the image is in the upper right hand corner, it goes there, and not in the lower left, if that is where I put my mouse cursor and hit [ctrl-v].  OK, I am fine with this.  I have moved the header image for whatever (upcoming events in this case).  

Next, I go and select the text frame under said header, as that will be copied and slightly edited.  I cut and paste, and rather than going where it was on the originating document, it appears in the centre of the spread as a wide rectangle, rather than in the tall narrow column that it was.

Now, one way or the other, which it is doesn't matter. it could be either, though I would really prefer that it landed where my cursor was, or at least the upper right hand corner landed there, or it was centred on my cursor.  Doesn't matter.  But why isn't it consistent between the two?  I've noticed this with 1.8 & 1.7 too.  (BTW, love the products, even if I am a neophyte at using them)

Thank you,

Dixon

PS, I note the overload of pending support questions causing (presumably happy) delays on the part of Serif.  Why are the questions forums for Photo, Publisher, et al all together in one huge forum.  Is the behaviour that similar between the applications that this was deemed more efficient?

PSS - Affinity Publisher 1.91, 2019 iMac, v11.2.2

1 minute ago, dkenner said:

PS, I note the overload of pending support questions causing (presumably happy) delays on the part of Serif.  Why are the questions forums for Photo, Publisher, et al all together in one huge forum.  Is the behaviour that similar between the applications that this was deemed more efficient?

I (as a user of the forums) go with the Similar reason. Started out with just Designer then Photo got added then Publisher. Now it is what it is.

To your real question...

I am assuming you are using Publisher. I am also assuming you are copying the text, not the text frame. When you copy the text there is no container for it to be in so Publisher gives it a text frame and places that text frame in the middle of the page.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

43 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I am assuming you are using Publisher. I am also assuming you are copying the text, not the text frame. When you copy the text there is no container for it to be in so Publisher gives it a text frame and places that text frame in the middle of the page.

Correct, Publisher, on an iMac.  But, while [ctrl-A] selects all of the text, if does not pick up the frame.  I've tried.  You can't just select the frame and copy that.  Selecting and trying to copy the frame in the layers panel doesn't get you anything unless the text is selected, and even then, the result lands in the centre of the spread.

Just curious really over the behaviour.  While I would prefer the text frame to act like the image when copying and pasting, I am used to it.

PS.  Apologies for using [ctrl] rather than command.  Starting on a teletype machine a very long time ago, the term "control" is deeply ingrained.

2 minutes ago, dkenner said:

PS.  Apologies for using [ctrl] rather than command.  Starting on a teletype machine a very long time ago, the term "control" is deeply ingrained.

No teletype experience here but I have had to use the six bit output from them and that Unshift command which I consistently forgot.

To select the text frame you need to use the Move tool. The Arrow, keyboard shortcut V hit the escape key a couple of times to get out of the text frame before hitting the V.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.