Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Good Afternoon,
I've recently been trying to use Affinity Designer after the 1.9 update but came across some kind of bug. When in the Designer Persona, all brush models are clearly seen and can be used. When transferring to the Pixel Persona on the other hand, all brushes turn invisible and cannot be used. I have tried using the "Clear User Data" dialog by holding 'Ctrl' but it still has not solved my issue. Here are photos to help anyone out.
image.thumb.png.8fed3e08379a1eff52dec6b20814e330.pngimage.thumb.png.95663d273c57fb19114b859fa3187423.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Vexx25,

We've seen this happen when some security software (or uses without knowing) removes certain parts out our install folder. Please see my comments and walkthrough in this thread:

It sounds as though your install directory (C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer\Resources\Affinity Designer) is missing the raster_brushes.propcol file. An uninstall/reinstall should fix that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Vexx25,

We've seen this happen when some security software (or uses without knowing) removes certain parts out our install folder. Please see my comments and walkthrough in this thread:

It sounds as though your install directory (C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer\Resources\Affinity Designer) is missing the raster_brushes.propcol file. An uninstall/reinstall should fix that.

Good Evening Sean,

Even when reinstalling or even repairing Affinity with no anti-virus software or Windows Real-Time Protection, I still have no brushes and cannot use the pixel persona on Designer or Photo. Another weird thing is, I currently have said file (raster_brushes.propcol) in my folder. I hope that this can be solved as soon as possible since I use Affinity for work and also to annotate PDF's. Thanksimage.png.a8ff877d6fbf7a1acd03d382cfd38aa6.png
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahh that's frustrating  as that file is correct and looks to have the correct date, time and size so doesn't look like anything could have changed with that.

Could you try close the app down and then go to %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\ and rename the '1.0 folder' to '1.0_Old'.Once that is done try starting the application up and see if that works. It is still the same could you try double clicking some of the brushes and attach a screenshot of the dialog that appears please? Also would you mind trying a few different categories in Pixel Persona as well please? Note Vector Persona uses an entirely different set of brushes and categories so these are not shared - they're quite different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Ahh that's frustrating  as that file is correct and looks to have the correct date, time and size so doesn't look like anything could have changed with that.

Could you try close the app down and then go to %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\ and rename the '1.0 folder' to '1.0_Old'.Once that is done try starting the application up and see if that works. It is still the same could you try double clicking some of the brushes and attach a screenshot of the dialog that appears please? Also would you mind trying a few different categories in Pixel Persona as well please? Note Vector Persona uses an entirely different set of brushes and categories so these are not shared - they're quite different.

Still nothing. Brushes are still having the same issueimage.thumb.png.3b3c01f06c2b6acdf9dc340dae6ec333.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you try switching to a different category (Inks for example) and then select the Paintbrush Tool and try and draw with them please? Doing this to a category other than Basic (as they're all round) will be easier to spot if its an issue with the brushes itself or the preview image.

Also could you double clicking on a brush to edit it and post up a screenshot of the brush editor please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Can you try switching to a different category (Inks for example) and then select the Paintbrush Tool and try and draw with them please? Doing this to a category other than Basic (as they're all round) will be easier to spot if its an issue with the brushes itself or the preview image.

Also could you double clicking on a brush to edit it and post up a screenshot of the brush editor please?

Still nothing. Here's a photo of me trying to draw and also the Brush Editor
image.thumb.png.9fa882f8ae6c24cbd65d60704bdae684.png

image.thumb.png.5fb6c6b9a0da522f4a6b78152ccd475c.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that - 
Would you mind trying to install this Brush Pack from the Panel Preferences > Import Brushes. Does this show anything? 
Also would it be possible for you to install the beta as well and see what behaviour that gives please? What settings does your Preferences > Performance show? If you have OpenCL enabled can you try disabling that - do they then appear?

Whats very strange is that there is a very very small pixel in the corner where each brush should be, and also just in the corner of the Brush Editor too. 

RasterBrushTest.afbrushes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sean P said:

Thanks for that - 
Would you mind trying to install this Brush Pack from the Panel Preferences > Import Brushes. Does this show anything? 
Also would it be possible for you to install the beta as well and see what behaviour that gives please? What settings does your Preferences > Performance show? If you have OpenCL enabled can you try disabling that - do they then appear?

Whats very strange is that there is a very very small pixel in the corner where each brush should be, and also just in the corner of the Brush Editor too. 

RasterBrushTest.afbrushes 226.22 kB · 0 downloads

Still nothing, here is what shows up:image.thumb.png.3561a66cfa8a9ccd16c2347ab82adb01.png

Also how do I get the Beta Test?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, vexx25 said:

Still nothing, here is what shows up:image.thumb.png.3561a66cfa8a9ccd16c2347ab82adb01.png

Also how do I get the Beta Test?

Thanks for that - its definitely refusing to show any brush textures what so ever (but fine for the Vector brushes!). Did this happen with both OpenCL on and off?

Regarding the beta - I apologise I thought i'd attached the link but hadn't.
It can be downloaded from the link below and will install alongside the retail version - the two do not share settings or content either. If you try that and still find its the same could you close the application down and then navigate to %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\ and attach the 'Log.txt' file please.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sean P said:

Thanks for that - its definitely refusing to show any brush textures what so ever (but fine for the Vector brushes!). Did this happen with both OpenCL on and off?

Regarding the beta - I apologise I thought i'd attached the link but hadn't.
It can be downloaded from the link below and will install alongside the retail version - the two do not share settings or content either. If you try that and still find its the same could you close the application down and then navigate to %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\ and attach the 'Log.txt' file please.

 

Good Evening,

I actually got it to work and the problem seemed to be that OpenCL was on. Once I turned it off everything started to work. Thank you very much for helping me and being very active. Was very nice to have quick help when needed. Again, thanks a lot and I hope you have a good day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's great news thanks for getting back to me! If you could still get us the log for the current beta with OpenCL turned on that would be great! I can pass it on to development to poke a little bit further as to see what was stopping it from rendering them as it should list the OpenCL failure inside the log!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 8:21 PM, Sean P said:

That's great news thanks for getting back to me! If you could still get us the log for the current beta with OpenCL turned on that would be great! I can pass it on to development to poke a little bit further as to see what was stopping it from rendering them as it should list the OpenCL failure inside the log!

Sorry, been busy lately. Is it ok if I get back to you on this? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have no brushes...I have OpenCL unchecked....and I also tried it checked no difference.. I hesitate to ask my question as I do not know anything about these things you are asking the of the above poster. All the brushes that I have downloaded myself like from brushezy are still there..which surprises me because they always are disappearing. If you want me to show you something like a screenshot or what a directory says you will have to walk me thru it as I am not savvy in those things. All I know is I have no brushes the came with my Affinity Photo. only the ones that I have imported. I also downloaded these and installed as above mentioned  RasterBrushTest.afbrushes 226.22 kB · 2 downloads and those show up for me , I am looking for a screenshot app for my laptop that I work on.

addition:  I bought Designer and installed it around the same time as I updated to the 1.9.1 ..if that helps at all.. But in Designer brushes are showing.

Edited by anniefarbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, anniefarbs said:

I also have no brushes...I have OpenCL unchecked....and I also tried it checked no difference.. I hesitate to ask my question as I do not know anything about these things you are asking the of the above poster. All the brushes that I have downloaded myself like from brushezy are still there..which surprises me because they always are disappearing. If you want me to show you something like a screenshot or what a directory says you will have to walk me thru it as I am not savvy in those things. All I know is I have no brushes the came with my Affinity Photo. only the ones that I have imported. I also downloaded these and installed as above mentioned  RasterBrushTest.afbrushes 226.22 kB · 2 downloads and those show up for me , I am looking for a screenshot app for my laptop that I work on.

addition:  I bought Designer and installed it around the same time as I updated to the 1.9.1 ..if that helps at all.. But in Designer brushes are showing.

Hi annie,

Since your problem does not pertain to OpenCL, here's a link that Sean sent me. Not sure if it will help but just let me know if you need anything

Regarding some screenshot apps, if u you are using Mac, you can use Shift+Command+3. If you are on Windows, you can use Snipping Tool. Another great application I personally use since it is very quick and easy to use as it is right there is called LightShot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.