You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paste vector objects without rasterization

Hi everyone,

I just bought AD and really enjoy it, but a few problems keep me from fully embracing it so far. Most importantly, I don't seem to find a way to import vector objects from other applications from the clipboard without them getting rasterized. I use Graphpad Prism and used to copy graphs from there into illustrator, which preserved their vector nature. In AD, on the contrary, they get rasterized. The same thing happens when pasting vector objects from Illustrator into AD. Maybe I'm missing something obvious here - I'd be grateful for any hints!

Thanks

-hubob

• Staff

Hi Hubob,

Welcome to the Forums :)

Please could you try exporting your files to something like SVG. Then go to File and Open in Affinity Designer  and try to open the SVG instead of copying it into the app. This should keep it as a vector and stop it from being rasterised. If you wish to bring the file into an already created Affinity document instead of going File > Open you could use File > Place. Also could you please make sure that the objects you are copying have no effects on them. I hope this helps :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum,

thanks a lot for your swift answer - the Place command made it happen, which is brilliant (can't tell how I didn't try it this way yesterday). 

I'm left with one question: Upon placing files they seem a lot smaller in the AD file than their original dimensions indicate. This seems to be due to the DPI settings, once I set the DPI on the embedded image (with the resize option) to the DPI of the AD document the sizes match. My question is, why AD assigns a DPI value of 72 to all placed files (rather than the DPI of the original file or the AD file itself) and whether this could potentially lead to quality loss in the rasterized parts of the embedded image?

Thanks a lot for your help, I greatly enjoy using Affinity Designer!

hubob

• 7 months later...