You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open a new file with *no* ICC (EG PNG) to an sRGB work space, and monitor ICC

Hi,

When working with a file that has no ICC explicitly in the file format or metadata, I expect to be able to load it and see RGB(255,255,255) as white as the monitor is showing white.

I can then assign an ICC and export as needed.

However if I try the file open 'assumes' an attached sRGB which I read is there because Web apps will also make the asumption.

But that is not very useful for users that want to see the file as it is or even work without sRGB for a real reason (EG the rest of the flow will take care of it).

Is there a way to open files and see them as they are without the assumption about what ICC to use?

I tried all the combinations, including the work space being the ICC of the monitor but that does not work either.

The only way to make it work is to have the work space as sRGB and manually (after file open) do: Document->Assign ICC Profile->[Monitor ICC] which is clearly very tedious when wanting to just 'see the image'.

Thanks

MarkB

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if it was a newbie question as I dont do this for a living.

Indeed the Windows Colour System Defaults: Default profile: is System default (sRGB IEC61966-2.1)

But that would seem to be for when windows needs a profile for its and programs internal workings.

The colour management settings correctly has my monitors with the right profile for that monitor. (the one I have to manually set it to, to make it work).

So why does affinity not select the monitor the image is on and use the profile for that? After all affinity is displaying the image, not working with it internally.

I also note that other programmes dont use System default, so they must be using the display profile.

So yes I could change windows 10 default but is that not slightly wrong?

Thanks for any further comments on this.

MarkB