You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Publisher] all vertical images are rotated during import

In the Finder or Bridge, all images are properly orientated (EXIF). When I import the images they are rotated. Only the horizontal images appear correctly. This is a lot of work with about 150 images (for example video only two, but in every scenario, from Brige, Finder, with the import function ect. alway the same result).

Oh and one more thing, if I want rotate the image with a logic exaction of a normal UI the whole screen rotate.

23 hours ago, 3joern said:

all images are properly orientated (EXIF). When I import the images they are rotated. Only the horizontal images appear correctly.

I can confirm it, Affinity 1.8.4 on El Capitan. Definitely looks like a bug, not a feature (paging @Gabe)

However, not all photos are affected:
While portrait JPEGs from my iPhone SE and Canon EOS650D are all imported as landscape, portrait photos from my old Olympus Stylus µ-mini are rotated correctly. No idea what makes the difference.

23 hours ago, 3joern said:

if I want rotate the image with a logic exaction of a normal UI the whole screen rotate.

Don't rotate the spread view, rotate the object:
https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/pages/ObjectControl/rotateShear.html

Also to consider reading:
https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/pages/Media/pictureFrames.html

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Oddly enough, if you open a portrait photo in Publisher as a document – which is possible and it creates a correspondingly sized page automatically – it will rotate correctly as portrait. So it's just the Place command or the drag & drop into an existing layout that's messed up.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

17 hours ago, loukash said:

Oddly enough, if you open a portrait photo in Publisher as a document – which is possible and it creates a correspondingly sized page automatically – it will rotate correctly as portrait. So it's just the Place command or the drag & drop into an existing layout that's messed up.

yes, I noticed that too. I hope that the handling of images in the layout will soon get a higher priority in the publisher. Why should you be able to rotate the spread view in a layout program, but images are treated like in PowerPoint or Illustrator (you import an image using the image import function and then have to convert it to an image box if you want to crop it – 95% of the time in a layout you crop it to fit the ascenders), these are wrong priorities. I'm upset about this, because I'm extremely enthusiastic about what Serif is doing. 

On 2/6/2021 at 9:33 PM, loukash said:

portrait photos from my old Olympus Stylus µ-mini are rotated correctly. No idea what makes the difference.

Alright, as it turns out, my "vintage" µ-mini couldn't rotate by itself yet. So obviously I'd rotated all portrait images myself losslessly via GraphicConverter before importing them into iPhoto. And that's why they now import correctly into Publisher, unlike all the other auto-rotated images from my iPhone and Canon.