You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

100% CPU usage with "snap to gaps and sizes" enabled

Balakov

Hi,

I normally run Affinity Designer with all snapping options enabled, and this is normally fine. However, I've been making some vector patterns today and noticed that having the "snap to gaps and sizes" option enabled absolutely kills the performance when there are lots of elements within an object. I've attached a Designer file of a simple dither pattern that turns out to be a pathological case for snapping.

Make sure "Snap to gaps and sizes" is switched on - I run with everything except "Force Pixel Alignment" switched on. Moving the first shape about is absolutely fine. Moving the second shape around starts to get a bit juddery. Moving another shape after that (including going back to the first shape and moving that again) gets really laggy. After moving a fourth shape we're into 1 second+ update times and maxed out CPU on all cores and threads. I've had it take as long as 10 seconds to respond and Windows complaining about Affinity Designer not responding.

I appreciate that I shouldn't really have the gaps and sizes snapping on in this scenario, but it took my a good while to realise that it was this option causing the slowdown. I don't even think about my snap settings most of the time, they normally just work fine.

It's debatable if this is a bug or not, but it feels as though the snap candidate selection should probably give up after a certain time to preserve UI framerate. Snapping is a very interactive operation and relies on being able to see the snap candidates. When screen updates are over a second, snapping is essentially useless anyway.

Cheers,

Mike

Snap Test Case.afdesign