You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linking to pages from nodes on a PDF image

I have a PDF image of a Mindmap map containing many nodes. I would like to have each node link to a relevant anchor point within the document.

Is there any way of doing so without having to re-create the Mindmap with the nodes re-drawn on a separate layer?

Thanking you in anticipation,

Tony

• Staff

Hi @TonyMoss,

Without seeing the document it is a bit hard to say, but if I'm not mistaken then you could use File > Open and select your MindMap PDF. This would create a new document using the PDF and parse the layers to Affinity layers.

You could then copy and paste the full mindmap from the PDF document into your Affinity Publisher document and then anchor the node points as required.

If this doesn't help with your workflow, please provide a copy of the document or perhaps a screen recording showing your current steps as this will help me to understand the question further :)

39 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @TonyMoss,

Without seeing the document it is a bit hard to say, but if I'm not mistaken then you could use File > Open and select your MindMap PDF. This would create a new document using the PDF and parse the layers to Affinity layers.

You could then copy and paste the full mindmap from the PDF document into your Affinity Publisher document and then anchor the node points as required.

If this doesn't help with your workflow, please provide a copy of the document or perhaps a screen recording showing your current steps as this will help me to understand the question further :)

Thanks Dan.

I've just tried this - several times! Each time I select all the layers in the new Publisher document (the Mindmap) and press Command + C to Copy, wt which point Publisher crashes. I then  have to reopen it from the Recovery file.

I can only assume that the number of layers in the Miindmap "image" is more than Publisher can handle.

Meanwhile I've resolved the problem the hard way - imported the map to a separate page, then used that as a template to re-draw all nodes, contents  and connections on a layer "above" the map. A lot of work, but it has done the job.

If you want something to do during lockdown (!) the map PDF is attached. Be interested to hear if you have the same issue.

Thanks again,

Tony

iMac Guide.pdf

5 hours ago, TonyMoss said:

I've just tried this - several times! Each time I select all the layers in the new Publisher document (the Mindmap) and press Command + C to Copy, wt which point Publisher crashes. I then  have to reopen it from the Recovery file.

I can only assume that the number of layers in the Miindmap "image" is more than Publisher can handle.

Meanwhile I've resolved the problem the hard way - imported the map to a separate page, then used that as a template to re-draw all nodes, contents  and connections on a layer "above" the map. A lot of work, but it has done the job.

If you want something to do during lockdown (!) the map PDF is attached. Be interested to hear if you have the same issue.

I don't get a crash (using macOS 10.13.6) but there is a weird thing. The black-stroked Rectangle behind the word "iMac" at the root of the tree is 92 x 57 pt but Zoom To Selection (shift+cmd+0) considers it to be thousands of times bigger.

Try replacing that Rectangle with a new one of the same size before doing a copy of all layers.

36 minutes ago, anon2 said:

I don't get a crash (using macOS 10.13.6) but there is a weird thing. The black-stroked Rectangle behind the word "iMac" at the root of the tree is 92 x 57 pt but Zoom To Selection (shift+cmd+0) considers it to be thousands of times bigger.

Try replacing that Rectangle with a new one of the same size before doing a copy of all layers.

Yep - that did it! No crash, and pasted in to the document as required. Well spotted!

How that ginormous rectangle appeared I've no idea, but I've an idea where to start looking should anything similar happen again.

Thanks so much for your time and advice,

Tony