John-B

Text Is Not Editable in Affinity Photo PSD Export

When I export a document in Affinity Photo in PSD format, text layers are no longer editable.Text layers are not exported as text at all, they get converted to pixel layers. It makes no difference if I select "preserve accuracy" or "preserve edibility." Is there any way to export to PSD while maintaining editable text layers?

11 minutes ago, John-B said:

Is there any way to export to PSD while maintaining editable text layers?

Unfortunately not. The Affinity apps can optionally import PSD text as editable text, but there is currently no such option when exporting to PSD format.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows 1.9.0 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.9.0 • Designer for iPad 1.9.0 • iPadOS 14.4 (iPad Air 2)

On 1/12/2021 at 11:30 AM, Alfred said:

Unfortunately not. The Affinity apps can optionally import PSD text as editable text, but there is currently no such option when exporting to PSD format.

That makes it a bit challenging to exchange files with PS users. Seems like if editable text can be imported, there'd be no reason it could not be exported. Maybe it's a copyright issue, PS's file format is proprietary?

8 hours ago, John-B said:

That makes it a bit challenging to exchange files with PS users. Seems like if editable text can be imported, there'd be no reason it could not be exported. Maybe it's a copyright issue, PS's file format is proprietary?

It seems to be a text composition issue.

It’s tempting to think that something would be better than nothing, and that we should therefore be offered an option to export uncomposed text, but that might not give us text output that’s reasonable to work with.

The only answer at present is to choose a different export format such as SVG, PDF, or EPS.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows 1.9.0 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.9.0 • Designer for iPad 1.9.0 • iPadOS 14.4 (iPad Air 2)

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

The only answer at present is to choose a different export format such as SVG, PDF, or EPS.

Are you saying I can export in one of those formats, then open in Photoshop and be able to edit the text?

On 1/14/2021 at 1:45 PM, Alfred said:

It’s tempting to think that something would be better than nothing, and that we should therefore be offered an option to export uncomposed text, but that might not give us text output that’s reasonable to work with

I do not think that it is reasonable to expect ability to fully exchange text composition between the apps. E.g. when you open a PSD file containing paragraph text with indents, tab positions, alignment and spacing settings, these properties are mostly either (partially) lost or rasterized in the mentioned apps. But at least you have the choice of keeping the text (and then reformatting it). The apps also vary greatly as regards their internal text capabilities, e.g. Corel PHOTO-PAINT 2017 only supports artistic text frames. 

The best interchange of compositional information seems to happen when opening a Xara exported PSD file in Photoshop:

psdtext_inxara.jpg.84f10c64118b62aa7c6b147aeaa60119.jpg

psdtext_xaratops.jpg.ee9395514ee99cf24664d7d99357558e.jpg

Basically all else is transferred except tab stops which are poorly supported in Photoshop anyway (cannot be set, and only retained when importing from Illustrator). It is not as good the other way around but the original composition can fairly quickly be redefined in Xara. 
[UPDATE: Even better compatibility (tab positions included) is achieved when opening Photoshop created PSD in the 1.9 beta version of Photo (still not supporting exporting text, at all) Beta version just had the Preference setting for Photoshop text import turned on, but the feature itself does not seem to be further improved, so it works rather well but does not support tab positions.]

But it is useful to be able to fully exchange even just artistic text elements, to be able to fix typos, reformat text (font, style, size, color, etc.), and generally to keep elements non-rasterized as long as possible, so I think that not implementing any kind of support for exporting editable text because (at least some of the) compositional features will be lost is a kind of an excuse. But I can understand that it is not a high priority.

EDIT: Xara's example shows though that also paragraph text and complex text compositions can be exported to Photoshop  by 3rd parties (even if there are limitations).

11 minutes ago, John-B said:

Are you saying I can export in one of those formats, then open in Photoshop and be able to edit the text?

I only have an old version of Photoshop Elements, and I’m not sure whether even a recent full version of Photoshop can read the  SVG format, but as far as I’m aware you should be able to open PDF or EPS files and edit any text contained therein.

Alfred online2long.gif

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

you should be able to open PDF or EPS files and edit any text contained therein.

Text in PDF will become rasterized when opened in Photoshop 22.1.1.

Just now, Lagarto said:

Text in PDF will become rasterized when opened in Photoshop 22.1.1.

That’s bad news — and quite surprising, too!

Alfred online2long.gif

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Text in SVG and EPS will be rasterized in Photohop, too. Affinity apps (including Photo) retain full editability when opening a PDF containing text, per-row-based editing when opening an SVG file, and no editablity (conversion to curves) when opening an EPS file containing text (EDIT: actually, I think that text is converted to curves already when exported, at least from Affinity apps). 

19 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I just checked and Photoshop rasterizes also text in SVG and EPS files created by Illustrator with editing capabilities retained, so these files will open with editable text when opening back in Illustrator, but will have text rasterized when opening in Photoshop! (UPDATE: Photo will convert to curves text when opening such an EPS file, and retain per-word text composition when opening such an SVG file.) 

23 hours ago, Lagarto said:

The best interchange of compositional information seems to happen when opening a Xara exported PSD file in Photoshop:

Looks like Xara is an subscription-based online graphics app. Are you suggesting using Xara as a go between? That is, subscribing to another app to translate Affinity Photo files?  A $12.95 per month subscription doesn't seem like a great solution. Or are you suggesting using Xara instead of AP? That's not an option for me, as I don't use subscription-based apps.

As far as I'm concerned, formatting is not as important as edibility. Even if all formatting is lost, it would at least save the time of re-entering all the text, which is time consuming and error prone.

6 hours ago, John-B said:

Looks like Xara is an subscription-based online graphics app. Are you suggesting using Xara as a go between? That is, subscribing to another app to translate Affinity Photo files?  A $12.95 per month subscription doesn't seem like a great solution. Or are you suggesting using Xara instead of AP?    

I consider it mostly as a useful tool to fill in some gaps that exist in Affinity apps (e.g. to open and interpret EPS files that Affinity apps fail to open at all). I would not recommend it as a primary graphics app. They have subscription based plan, but also perpetual licenses, and I suppose that Photo & Graphic Designer is enough for most purposes. It only costs around USD50.  It is Windows only, and the UI is clunky, but it has some clever and unique features (in addition to serving as a kind of a last-resort problem-solving tool).