You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Images CMYK & 300dpi

Hello all,

If I create a new document for print (CMYK, 300dpi) and I bring in a photo from Unsplash, Pexel, or Pixabay or even from my own files, do the images automatically convert to CMYK at 300dpi?

Also is there a way to find out, within Publisher, what the information is about all of your assets (photos, etc) (Color mode, dpi, etc)?

Thank you and appreciated,

Tim

1 hour ago, Wildjoey said:

Hello all,

If I create a new document for print (CMYK, 300dpi) and I bring in a photo from Unsplash, Pexel, or Pixabay or even from my own files, do the images automatically convert to CMYK at 300dpi?

Also is there a way to find out, within Publisher, what the information is about all of your assets (photos, etc) (Color mode, dpi, etc)?

Thank you and appreciated,

Tim

When you import or place an image into Publisher it comes in as an IMAGE LAYER, this essentially means that it is not treated as an editable image in the same way as a pixel image is.  The advantage here is that if you have set up your document as CMYK based, and you import an image that is RGB then the image is completely unaffected and will keep all of its information iintact and when you export to pdf this information is retained and not lost. 

However, as for this image layer business someone else will have to butt in, I am sorry to say that I still find the topic of image layers and then having to rasterise them in publsher thoroughly confusing and have no idea what happens to an RGB image in a CMYK document because I avoid cmyk like the plague when it comes to photgraphy.

As for your second question there is a help manual to be found at the top  right on the toolbar.  there are also loads of videos all over youtube and within affinity itself.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Hello Chris - Hhmmm, I think I understand what you are saying in your first paragraph. Though the document is CMYK, when you bring in a photo that is RGB, it remains RGB until PDF export. Am I understanding that correctly?  My usual practice when laying out a magazine has been to do all my photo adjustments in Photoshop (now Affinity Photo), convert to CMYK when all adjustments were finished, then import (place) photo into my layout program.

The other question; I'll try to find out, but if someone has the answer I would love it!

Thanks again

I believe files placed in Publisher maintain their colour profile, be it CMYK, RGB, etc. Personally I always convert my files to CMYK before placing in Indesign so I am always working with CMYK images and have realistic expectations for colour reproduction.

As for your second question, I believe you are looking for preflight. I think Publisher has something like it but I cannot remember the name of it. Indesign it is called preflight and you can set the parameters to check for and warn you about. So I have preflight profiles for CMYK, RGB, Black Only, 2 spots, etc. They are handy and very helpful.

Hi Wonderings - Yes, on your first paragraph, that is exactly what I have been doing for years! Thanks.

On the second question, I think also there are presets and you can set information up you want in the preflight of Publisher.... but I just found out where you can get information on an image, etc. It's located under the Document (File, Edit, Document) tab and at the very bottom there are the words "Resource Manager". When clicked a dialog box comes up and it gives you all the information you need. Check it out, it's cool.

Thanks very much guys - things are moving forward! ;)

1 hour ago, Wildjoey said:

when you bring in a photo that is RGB, it remains RGB until PDF export. Am I understanding that correctly?

No, whatever the image's colour profile, that gets embedded into the PDF file on export while it is still an Image layer.  When you rasterize it, that there is where I am unsure what happens when you export it to PDF, does it retain the original data or does it take on the data of the colour information that the document is in.  I never had to deal with these issues, but I would like to know the answers anyway.

EDIT:  I totally forgot the obvious here, (over-worked and christmas comes earlier for me), that when you do go to export there are options in the export dialogue that ask whether you want to use the colour format of the document.  There is also a tick box that asks if you want to convert however since I never had to use these settings, (I print all myself so never get any problems) I am unsure what really happens to a mixed document of RGB images in cmyk document (again which is something I would never do and need not do if I send to a printer).

Capture.PNG.917f10562430c65a4769bd3d4e340db3.PNG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Hey Chris - Thank you, that does help. I very rarely print anything in house, so am most all the time laying out jobs for getting printed at a printshop. So I am dealing with CMYK more than RGB. Thank you again. I will continue to do my research and I am trying to learn Publisher as quickly as possible. I am coming from InDesign and things are a bit different, but I am not daunted!