You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen stroke width too small, finger width ok

When I paint with the pen, the stroke width is considerably smaller than the selected width. If I paint with the finger, the stroke width fits what is selected.

In the attached screen shot: the wide, lower stroke is made with the finger while the to upper ones are made with the pen using different pressures. The circle is what is displayed as size right after resizing the view with two fingers and illustrates the selected pen width.

The document is attached. A new document, using the built-in "Large Diluted Watercolour" pen.

Any ideas why this is so? A setting? A problem with the pen/iPad? A bug in Affinity Photo?
I would like the pen to behave consistently with what is selected, like the finger does.

I use iPad 12.9 2018 with an Apple pen.

The pixel persona in Affinity Designer behaves the same.

In Notes, the pen and the finger paint consistently (of course, only the pen can vary the width according to the pencil angle). Any other app where I could test the pen behaviour?

Regards,
    Hans

73D9057A-9CED-4B8C-B962-B7598F016ED0.png

stroke-widths.afphoto

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Dybkjær,

When you use your finger, this is going to be ignore any pressure and give you the thickest stroke, so that could explain part of the issue.

I've been speaking with QA about this and they just waiting to confirm some information about what exactly is happening, so i'll be back here shortly to give a full answer to this :)