You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The œ (autocorrect) causes Publisher to crash.

Azvserk

Hello!

So, i was working on a new template for a CD cover, and as i was doing my thing, it crashed. I tried again, same results without knowing why.
Then i discovered that writing the word "oeuvre" without the œ is fine, until i press spacebar to go to the next word, the autocorrect from Publisher that switches "oeuvre" into "œuvre" is causing the crash. 
I searched for similar problems, tried the cache clear, tried different fonts, same conclusion.
BUT something is odd because when i'm trying to reproduce the crash, it doesn't come necessarily on the first try (i mean just writing the word oeuvre for example), i can write 5-6 times the word.

FUN FACT : c/c the word with the œ included doesn't make the software crash.

Sometimes it crashes right away, sometimes i have to write with the text tool, sometimes with the image box converted into a text box, sometimes i can do both. 
And the crash has two "endings", one is a clean crash, Publisher closes itself, the other Publisher freezes (blabla is not responding), and i have to close it manually in the tasks manager.

I've been using Publisher since march 2020, never been bothered, even with the font i used to crashtest the problem, already used the word oeuvre for sure, so the question is : is it a bug from my side, or from the software side ?

Sincerely,

Azs.

Edited by Azvserk

• Staff

Hi @Azvserk,

Welcome to the forums. 

We are aware of an issue where words starting with non-ascii characters lock up the app, but when used in the Abbreviation section, and not the Autocorrect section. We have already fixed this in the latest beta. It's worth a try and see if that fixed your problem too. https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/58-publisher-beta-on-windows/

Hi @Gabe,

Thank you for the welcome message, and your answer!

A/ I've downloaded and tried the beta version, first attempt with just the word "oeuvre", as soon as i pressed the spacebar, it froze and crashed.

1st try : froze (closed in the task manager)

2nd try : clean crash (8 "oeuvre" written, 7 in font size 9 and 1 in 64)

3rd try : clean crash, one "oeuvre" in font size 5, so the fontsize doesn't really matter.

So i'm still wondering if it comes from my side or still the software side, because you said it was patched.

B/ Otherwise i'm curious about that part : "[...] Abbreviation section, and not the Autocorrect section.", i've mentionned the autocorrect part so i get that part, but what do you mean about the abbreviation section ?

Sincerely,

Azs.

Edited by Azvserk