You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Cast Export to PDF in Affinity Publisher 1.8.5

Dear All,

Today I got a phenomenon a Color Cast when export a document created by Affinity Publisher (1.8.5) to PDF for both color profile CMYK & RGB (both were set to PDF Print Ready) as per sample attached, however when export to JPG no color cast. 

Please advise how to solve this cast accordingly.

Thanks & B/regards,

Export_in_JPG.jpg

The Desain CMYK Color Profile.jpg

Translucent Color_CMYK.pdf COLOR CAST PDF RGB.pdf

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

That's because PDF tries to honour gradients without being rasterised, whereas jpeg is a raster format. 

Thanks for your explanation, for me still stranger, as PDF common use in offset printing, if PDF change the color I could not imagine to many complain will be received the designer. I have attached the afpub file with change the color and still implement the gradient @same spot with Color Cast was Occurred,  and now the color didn't missed it. 

Translucent_Color_Revisi2.pdf Translucent_Color_Revisi.afpub

Dear All/Gabe,

Here I send again a sample two sample of PDF:

1. Export as a PDF File

2. Direct Print as a PDF File

I send a long with the Screenshot of each setting during export and direct print

the document preset : 

* Color Format: CMYK/8

* Color Profile: U.S Web Coated (SWOP)V2

I also attached the *afpub file for investigation.

As see the Direct Print as a PDF the color more bright (similar to RGB Color) compare to  Export as PDF (PDF/X-4), both color profile same as the document color format: CMYK/8.

Please help & Advise.

Look forward to receiving the reply.

Thanks & B/regards,

The Result Direct Print as PDF

Result Direct Print as PDF.jpg

The Result Export as PDF

Result Export as PDF.jpg

Setting during Export to PDF

Setting Export as PDF High Quality.jpg

Setting during Direct Print as PDF

Setting Direct Print As PDF.jpg

Result Direct Print as PDF.pdf Result Export as PDF.pdf Translucent_Color_2.afpub

• Staff

You see this difference because the print drivers use an RGB printing model. When you Print to PDF, you end up with a RGB pdf. When you Export a PDF, you end up with the colour profile you of your choice (if supported by the pdf model you select). 

Why don't you use the dedicated PDF Export option, and not the Print to PDF. You have 0 control over what comes out of Print to PDF. 

49 minutes ago, Gabe said:

You see this difference because the print drivers use an RGB printing model. When you Print to PDF, you end up with a RGB pdf. When you Export a PDF, you end up with the colour profile you of your choice (if supported by the pdf model you select). 

Why don't you use the dedicated PDF Export option, and not the Print to PDF. You have 0 control over what comes out of Print to PDF. 

Dear Gabe,

Thanks for your advice, what is the reason I used the Direct Print as PDF, that I have the document to be print as facing pages, if I use export to PDF the PDF document for 1'st & last page as independent page not as facing page even I have create the document to be facing page, if I'm not wrong in Print Menu there are menu how to control the Color Handling: whether by Printer or Performance by Application under Color Management, the sample I have been share is Direct Print as PDF & Export as PDF (the result should be same, cause for both use the same Color Format & Color Profile).

Sorry I send the sample again what the reason I use the Print as PDF as per attached.

*Export as PDF Print Ready*

Export as PDF Print Ready.jpg

*Print as PDF*

Print as PDF.jpg

Above is the sample between Export as PDF and Print as PDF

Thanks & B/regards,