You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP] Noticable lag during fill and brush operations

When I use the flood fill tool to fill a whole layer, it seems like there is an abnormal delay. I say abnormal because coming from photoshop it these kinds of operations are instant.At least on the fill tool side. I cant remember the last time I used brushes since i canceled my sub a while ago.
More noticeable is when using the brush tool. Some brushes are worse than others but it seems to happen to I know the swiftness of my strokes are exaggerated, but I just wonder if that's standard.

My pc specs are mid range.

Ryzen 1700 8 core, 16GB ram, and SSD boot drive.

I recorded a temporary video just to demonstrate

• Staff

Hi ZenMasta,

It's a bit tricky to see the delay with the Fill Tool as i can see when you've clicked the canvas, i guess you are doing that as soon as the cursor is on the canvas?  Also could you post a screenshot of your Performance settings from Preferences? 

Also it's worth trying this in the beta, to see if you get the same results.  You can download the beta from here

I tried to replicate these issues on my office PC, it's supposed to be slightly better in performance on the CPU side... Ryzen 5 3600. Same 16gb memory, similar gpu

Anyway, the fill tool was virtually the same.  The brush was a little worse for me. Besides the lag, there were times where instead of drawing a circle/curve it it stopped registering the mouse for a moment and then the time between the "lag" and when it resumed resulted in a straight line being drawn instead of a circular pattern.

I tried the beta client 1.9.0.734 from the post you linked.
The fill tool felt the same.  The brush tool seemed slightly better.