You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dan Margulis books and Affinity Photo

I have noticed from previous threads that there are people out there that are fans of Dan Margulis and his books.

Does anyone have tips on adapting his "Professional Photoshop" book to Affinity Photo?

I am having a hard time working with the curves since you have to invert them from his book.

Thank you.

@KentS

When you open a new curve layer, try inverting the input min and max values - that is, enter "1" for the minimum value and "0" for the maximum value.  See if the correction curves in his book translate one-to-one with this set up.  I don't have Professional Photoshop in front of me right now to test it.

It may not be enough though, as you probably need to inert the output axis too.

Kirk

Kirk,

That may help. I have to try it out more. It mostly worked on his 2.15 photo but the B was too strong in RGB. The other problem I have is estimating the values he is using since the Affinity curve is sectioned in quarters and has no numbers you can plug in. Thanks for your help! Appreciate it.

I think we both agree that AP's curve dialog could use some additional tools, although the fact that the user can change the input range is pretty great, especially when editing 32 bit per channel, HDR data.  Numerical input would be a great addition.

Kirk

I think we both agree that AP's curve dialog could use some additional tools, although the fact that the user can change the input range is pretty great, especially when editing 32 bit per channel, HDR data.  Numerical input would be a great addition.

I was also trying to kludge together the max/min reversed curve adjustment layer with a procedural texture live filter to invert the output of the curve, but even when the document is in Lab mode, the live filter version of the procedural texture only permits equations in RGB, including presets made in Lab.  Boo!

Kirk