You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export persona filenames: User variables don't show up anywhere?

I set up a template for GUI buttons, with versions of a button in all of its potential states. In my Export persona, I have each as a slice, exporting all three necessary resolutions for iOS.

But I don't see any way of setting a base filename, and then appending the slice name to it. The Export persona lets you set up a "user variable" for export filenames... but then doesn't show it anywhere except where you defined it. Is this a bug?

exportUserVariableMissing.png

You can place a cursor and type text above (before/between/after) placed vars.

typearea.jpg.19db32de41c34c6092c48572a101f477.jpg

And any path keeps it's own user var settings now, independent from the others, aka they seem not to be shared among entries.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks, but that only changes the one name. Try it. If you type something in there, it won't be reflected in any other output filenames.

That's the point of a user variable: You can change its value in one place, and all of the output filenames that include the variable will change accordingly. At least... that's how it should work. It appears to be broken in Designer, because the user variable isn't made available to you after you define it.

In my screen shot above, I created a variable called "base_name" and set it to be "native". If I insert base_name at the beginning of every output name field, every output filename start with "native". Next time, if I change my design and want to give all of the outputs a different name, I should just be able to change base_name to "something else", and all the output filenames will start with "something else."

16 minutes ago, Stokestack said:

Thanks, but that only changes the one name. Try it. If you type something in there, it won't be reflected in any other output filenames.

I know that's what I said above in the last sentence. - BTW in previous versions setting own user vars in the bottom table was buggy and nearly impossible. Looks like they reworked that, though the table of user vars actually isn't shared as an object between other slice output filename entries. So you would now have to rework every slice output entry on it's own.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

I can imagine they fixed the buggy behavior from previous versions and maybe didn't got the shared interoperability part in time, so left that off. - You can file in a bug report in order to get some response here.