You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does a pressure-sensitive tablet allow you to make brush strokes that are tapered at the begging or end?  Is that what I need to achieve this kind of stroke, or is that not possible in Affinity Photo currently?  I have a non sensitive tablet and I don't want to upgrade if it isn't going to do what I need.

• Staff

Hi LilleG,

A Pressure sensitive tablet will allow you to create Brush strokes that vary in size and taper. I have attached a few examples of some lines I have drawn with different Pressure applied to each. They are a little wobbly I'm not great with a tablet sorry! You can also simulate Pressure without having a pressure tablet. To do this you need to set the Controller of your Brush to Pressure. Then in the stroke tab there is a box with the word Pressure next to it clicking inside this box will allow you to simulate your own Pressure by altering the curvature of the graph .  I hope this helps :)

C

post-12469-0-34835500-1439479284_thumb.jpg

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thanks, Callum.  It does, a bit.  I'm looking for the kind of effect that one can get with a real brush (or with Corel's Painter) where lifting the brush at the end of the stroke gives a rounded beginning and a sharply tapered end.  I can get a bit of the texture of Painter's oil brushes by judicious use of the Effects panel (3-D in particular) but the blunt beginning and end of the strokes destroy the illusion.

• Staff

Hi LilleG,

You should be able to achieve that using one of the textured brushes and modifying the pressure curve to make it thicker at the start and shallower at the end.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.