You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ipad gestures for shape tool wrong

On the iPad the shape tool isn't working the way it needs to. The gestures are all wrong and are making the very necessary tool useless. Two fingers on every single tutorial posted by Serif is supposed to move the shape around. As shown in the picture that isn't what happens. The only way to move anything around is 4 fingers and it just makes a smaller version of a "drawn from center" ellipse. Please tell me this can be fixed. These are vital operations. 

IMG_1866.PNG

IMG_1868.PNG

IMG_1869.PNG

IMG_1870.PNG

7 minutes ago, Littleguybigcity said:

The only way to move anything around is 4 fingers and it just makes a smaller version of a "drawn from center" ellipse. Please tell me this can be fixed.

Do you have Touch for Gestures only switched on in settings? That will prevent one finger moving of shapes. Gestures have changes with latest release so check out the help file (built in) for current video of gestures and what they do.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Yes, Touch for Gestures only is on. In your newest help file (built in) it still shows that two fingers while shape tool is active moves the shape, which it should, but as my photo shows, two fingers instead is drawing out from the center and there is no way to move the object while it is live except for 4 fingers, which does this strange thing of moving a "drawn from center" shape, except the shape is smaller. I can't think of any application for a  move like that. It can't be right. 

In all the pictures above, I'm moving nothing and just placing gesture fingers down. You can see what is happening in the picture. 

IMG_5095A14B8B63-1.jpeg

Edited by Littleguybigcity

1 hour ago, Littleguybigcity said:

In your newest help file (built in) it still shows that two fingers while shape tool is active moves the shape,

For clarification the built in help file is the product of Serif. I have no association with the company, just an app user like yourself. 🙂

If you look closely at both the video and the explanation written below it, you will see that the two finger action being applied is NOT moving the object it is simply TRANSFORMING the object. That’s why it is shown under the Transform tab. A one finger application moves the object but constrains the movement to horizontal, vertical or 45 degrees.

If you tap on Basic Operations tab, you will see that an object can be moved (as shown) with a single finger. However if you have Touch for Gestures Only switched on the single touch is no longer available (I suspect this is to enable the app to discriminate the 'Apple pencil' tap/touch more clearly).

in attached screen recording you can see one finger moving object. Then two finger (one fixed on screen and one moving object) and movement is constrained as described above, just like the help file says.🙂

1 hour ago, Littleguybigcity said:

but as my photo shows, two fingers instead is drawing out from the center

Your photo shows 3 fingers? Two pressed hold and one for dragging movement. 
A two—finger hold resizes an object from its centre.
Perhaps I’m not understanding your issue here?

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Very sorry, I didn't realize you weren't associated. My bad. My problem isn't in the transform tool, but in the shape tool itself. I need to be able to drag a circle or any shape for that matter out and simultaneously resize it while being able to move it around to match a drawing that is on a layer below it. I don't want to have to make an arbitrary circle, move it, and then resize and move it around etc. I need to be able to just pull out a circle and move it around while being able to edit it. In all the affinity tutorials they do exactly this, but in mine for whatever reason while in the shape tool a two finger hold doesn't move my shape, but just draws from the center. 4 fingers for whatever reason allows me to move the circle, but it switches to a drawn from center ellipse of a seemingly arbitrary size. I know this is confusing, but it is confusing to me that that would be the only option for moving while being live and editable. What I need is a really basic operation, so the inability to do so seems like it couldn't be anything other than a bug, especially when in all the tutorials and information they show the program doing exactly what I need it to do.

2 hours ago, Littleguybigcity said:

I need is a really basic operation, so the inability to do so seems like it couldn't be anything other than a bug,

I think I see what you are referring to. The part of the Transform gestures vid that shows a blue circle drawn and then resized (which works) then that circle is repositioned (while Transform tool still selected), which doesn't currently work. To be honest I don’t know if this lack of movement is by design (i.e vid wrong) or a bug (i.e vid correct). 🤪 Hopefully mods can clarify.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Littleguybigcity Welcome to the Affinity forums.

I'm sorry you are having these issues. The functionality of the 2 finger modifier has indeed changed to keep it more in line with other tools gestures. You are correct that you now need to use the 4 finger modifier instead. Sorry for the confusion. The documentation team do know that the tutorials and help file need updating and are working on this.

I will also pass on your information to give the issue a little prod.