You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have 3 super annoying issues I keep having in AD, even after upgrading to iPad Pro, 2018.

1. When I have an image/pixel based icon I’m using for a repeat; If I have the original on the left edge, and duplicate and try to move that duplication across the canvas to the right edge, it moves both icons, even when only the duplicate is selected. It will move the original off to the center of the canvas, while moving the duplicate where I want it. This happens when I try to move the duplication from left to right. Oddly though, not right to left movements.

2. Another annoying bug, I find when using pixel based icons, is, say I have dropped in my asset that is pixel based, I resize it and position it in the middle of my canvas. Now I want to duplicate that icon and place it on another part of my canvas. So I select it and duplicate. Once I select my duplication in my layers panel and drag it to another area, it will again move both icons when only one icon was selected. My work around this particular issue is never duplicate a pixel icon that is placed on my canvas, I can only drop in a “new” asset and resize. Its more work, but it works.

3. The last annoying pixel bug in AD I’ve found is, say I finally get my pixel icons in the correct positions on my edges, I now group them in my layers. Say, I want to adjust their position slightly for a better balance later on. If I select that group and make any sort of position adjustments, it will move any or all icons in all sorts of directions off my canvas. Sometimes they just disappear entirely. So when working in pixels in AD, if my edges are grouped, I am forced to commit and never move them again, ever. 

But if I’m using 100% vector icons, I never have any of these issues.

video shows the first 2 of the issues in action. I could not get the 3rd bug recorded in this pattern.

4 hours ago, Kerri Lisa said:

If I have the original on the left edge, and duplicate and try to move that duplication across the canvas to the right edge, it moves both icons, even when only the duplicate is selected.

Hi, I tried this with a couple of vector and pixel shapes in groups, on artboards and couldn’t replicate it. Could you attach the problem file for closer examination.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

6 hours ago, Kerri Lisa said:

Do you suspect that maybe there is a bug with art boards, or maybe an odd setting that could be a trigger?

Ok, I see what is happening. You have set the snake icon as a symbol and have auto synch turned on. With that on, any change you make to one symbol will effect all linked symbols. 
select the snake symbol you want to move, Open the Symbols Studio and turn off Auto sync. Move the symbol and then go and turn auto synch back on. 🙂

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

1 hour ago, DM1 said:

Ok, I see what is happening. You have set the snake icon as a symbol and have auto synch turned on. With that on, any change you make to one symbol will effect all linked symbols. 
select the snake symbol you want to move, Open the Symbols Studio and turn off Auto sync. Move the symbol and then go and turn auto synch back on. 🙂

Thank you, but my purpose for having my symbols synced is so that I can see my pattern live in art board 2. Say I make my adjustments with the symbols not synced in art board 1, art board 2 will no longer be relevant as it does not update with the adjustments after I turn my sync back on. My bigger question is, why is this only happening with pixel layers? I’ve have yet to have this issue with synced symbols that are vectors.

Unsynching one symbol does not unsynch all other symbols. Perhaps that is the issue? Select all symbols, turn off synching and try again. Other than those suggestions I will have to leave it to someone with more experience in using symbols. Maybe one of the mods can assist further. 🙂

11 hours ago, DM1 said:

Unsynching one symbol does not unsynch all other symbols. Perhaps that is the issue? Select all symbols, turn off synching and try again. Other than those suggestions I will have to leave it to someone with more experience in using symbols. Maybe one of the mods can assist further. 🙂

I jus want to clarify, that the syncing of symbols whether it is off or on, I still have the layer issues when moving a single pixel layer when it is selected.  My latest video above shows that. I hope you can send this issue to your developers and they can fix it. 

12 hours ago, Kerri Lisa said:

. I hope you can send this issue to your developers and they can fix it. 

Kerri, I’m just another app user just like you, no affiliation with Affinity. The mods may be able to help but they are  not here as frequently due to the COVID crisis. 🙁

Hi @Kerri Lisa Thanks for taking the time to upload your videos and your file too. I'm going to have a look through them all and get back to you.

I recognise and have reproduced the first 2 issues but will come back to you with a couple of questions on No. 3 once I have taken a closer look.

10 hours ago, SPaceBar said:

Hi @Kerri Lisa Thanks for taking the time to upload your videos and your file too. I'm going to have a look through them all and get back to you.

I recognise and have reproduced the first 2 issues but will come back to you with a couple of questions on No. 3 once I have taken a closer look.

Thank you very much! I look forward to learning how I can improve my process. 

On 7/6/2020 at 5:20 AM, SPaceBar said:

I have a video of bug #3 about moving grouped pixel layers. In this pattern I created the pixel layer inside AD in the pixel persona, as opposed to importing an image and rasterizing. 

Inky_Oranges_half_drop.afdesign

Hey Kerri, I love the oranges.

I have managed to fix part of issue 3 - but only for the singular orange on the bottom left of Artboard 1. It seemed to be affected by the Recolour Adjustment - so I grouped it to the orange outline and then ungrouped and regrouped the outer group it was contained in.

Sadly the 3 oranges that are grouped are still moving around not matter how much I reorder them. This is a known issue.

As far as workflow goes - as you said above that you aren't having any issues with the vector designs it might be worth concentrating on those in the meantime. I had a try at recreating a little orange as a vector design and you could easily make this design vector.

Moving forward - I would suggest approaching a repeat in a more modular way. I tend to only group the layers I need for one object and then add it to my assets panel and insert when needed. You can still flip them / rotate them / change the size. You then only need a second layer of grouping when you place them over the edges. This helps you to avoid confusing grouping layers where you have all the orange backgrounds grouped, then the outlines grouped and those two groups grouped together.

Inky_Oranges_half_drop-fixed.afdesign

On 7/9/2020 at 6:37 AM, SPaceBar said:

Hey Kerri, I love the oranges.

I have managed to fix part of issue 3 - but only for the singular orange on the bottom left of Artboard 1. It seemed to be affected by the Recolour Adjustment - so I grouped it to the orange outline and then ungrouped and regrouped the outer group it was contained in.

Sadly the 3 oranges that are grouped are still moving around not matter how much I reorder them. This is a known issue.

As far as workflow goes - as you said above that you aren't having any issues with the vector designs it might be worth concentrating on those in the meantime. I had a try at recreating a little orange as a vector design and you could easily make this design vector.

Moving forward - I would suggest approaching a repeat in a more modular way. I tend to only group the layers I need for one object and then add it to my assets panel and insert when needed. You can still flip them / rotate them / change the size. You then only need a second layer of grouping when you place them over the edges. This helps you to avoid confusing grouping layers where you have all the orange backgrounds grouped, then the outlines grouped and those two groups grouped together.

Inky_Oranges_half_drop-fixed.afdesign 6.24 MB · 0 downloads

Thank you so much for looking into this. Do you except these bugs with pixel layers to be fixed in the future? I will continue to focus more on creating vector icons instead of pixel based icons.