You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Better Expand Stroke feature

Coming back to this, because it could be a real game changer for me, and the difference between the quality of Illustrator and Designer.

The fidelity of strokes need to be maintained when Expanding Strokes. So far it doesn’t seem to be the case for Designer on iOS.

Strokes, especially tapered versions lose their smooth edges after expanding, which absolutely need to be maintained when working on something as precise as a logo.

Help, I don't know how to make this work. I have tried every single vector app I could find for the iPad, with the simple requirement that I want to:

1. Draw with a brush tool with variable-width strokes
  2. Have actual strokes with handles that I can manipulate
  3. Expand the paths to shapes

Every single program I've tried either:

1. doesn't expand strokes properly (Affinity Designer) (I've tried the "zoom in" trick and I still can't get it to expand exactly the way I drew it)
  2. ends up with 10 million anchor points for the simplest shape (iDraw/Graphic)
  3. doesn't result in an actual stroke, always just a filled path (Adobe Illustrator Draw, surprisingly, and Inkpad) so I can't manipulate it easily
  4. doesn't do variable width strokes (Bez, unless I'm not seeing something in the app)

Please help, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

On 7/4/2020 at 4:29 AM, raspberryh said:

Help, I don't know how to make this work. I have tried every single vector app I could find for the iPad, with the simple requirement that I want to:

1. Draw with a brush tool with variable-width strokes
  2. Have actual strokes with handles that I can manipulate
  3. Expand the paths to shapes

Every single program I've tried either:

1. doesn't expand strokes properly (Affinity Designer) (I've tried the "zoom in" trick and I still can't get it to expand exactly the way I drew it)
  2. ends up with 10 million anchor points for the simplest shape (iDraw/Graphic)
  3. doesn't result in an actual stroke, always just a filled path (Adobe Illustrator Draw, surprisingly, and Inkpad) so I can't manipulate it easily
  4. doesn't do variable width strokes (Bez, unless I'm not seeing something in the app)

Please help, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

I haven’t use the brush tool myself in a long time, but would be surprised if there’s no pressure sensitivity setup to have a stroke vary when using Apple Pencil.

I use the pen/bezier line tool myself when drawing lines. I have control over nodes this way, and then go into Stoke settings and adjust the pressure/width variance of the path in the graph. You could also try drawing freehand with the Pencil tool, and then adjust the pressure graph similarly 🤷🏻‍♂️.
I have that pet peeve with how strokes expand too, you’ve gone to the trouble of creating a design with smooth curving lines, only to have it all break down and ruin the edge :(