You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adding pages to my novel breaks the document

Long story short: I realized I forgot to add 5 pages to the beginning of the document (cover page, table of contents, etc) because the tutorial I was using jumped straight into working with the manuscript. When I added the pages, it suddenly broke all my chapter headings and moved the text around, even thought the number of pages I had added allowed the first page to remain on the proper side of things. Thankfully, I was able to revert back to the time before it broke, so I didn't lose any of my (hard and tedious) work. 

So my question: Is there a feature where I can add the pages I need WITHOUT also rearranging the body of my text (i.e.- can I "lock" the pages in place)?

Would the merging documents section potentially fix this? Or would it be better to make those five pages I need in a separate doc, and merge them in my PDF software? I've never done more than magazine layouts in a program like this so I'm not sure how to problem solve this stuff well. 

Extra flavor: The novel is 465 pages when formatted so it makes my beefy PC lock up whenever I have to make a significant change. It's been tricky to format. 

EDIT: it seems I've discovered the problem. My chapter page Master Pages are bugged. When I first made them, my text frames were linked and set to auto flow. At some point, the program unlinked them, and whenever I'd add a new page the text would flow, but the master page wouldn't allow it, causing everything to break. 

Copying the Master Page spread, relinking the frames, and applying Master C to the pages allowed me to add my extra pages without destroying the document. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi, theelijahmacdougall

I'm glad to hear you were able to get to the bottom of your own issue please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.