You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm not exactly sure how to explain this so I've attached a screenshot.

Basically, I pasted an image (off a webpage) into a new document.  Then I want to crop out most of the whitespace, which I have done (this screenshot is AFTER I used crop).

However, something is still left over after cropping, because even though I did already use the crop function, there's some blue selection/outline that still exists and if I copy this image to use in my other open file it copies the ENTIRE large area (the entire outlined blue area) and not the smaller area I cropped. (as if I never cropped it in the first place)

The only way I know to cut out the parts I don't want is if I were to rasterize it first but I don't want to do that.

(sidenote - I've thought if making a mask but I'm not sure how/if this is possible in Affinity Photo? I've done this in the past in Adobe Illustrator, if anyone knows please let me know as masking could also be an option)

The odd thing is this doesn't happen 100% of the time, many photos crop without this issue so maybe it's related to the file I copied from the webpage, but still, I SHOULD be able to easily crop it either way I'd think.

cropproblem.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi natv,

The quickest method would be, crop the image and then right click the Layer and select Rasterize and Trim.  That would leave you with just the image on the canvas, with nothing outside.

I suspect this is mainly happening with this image as its much larger than the canvas its being placed/pasted on.  But rasterizing and trimming would be the best method.  Any reason why you don't want to rasterize the image?  

Thanks for the reply.

I guess for some reason I think of rasterizing as somehow losing quality if I later decide to scale it larger? 

What is it called BEFORE I rasterize it?  (what's the real difference between the two formats)