You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Auto Color Correction Options

Hi guys,

I do this in Photoshop to normalize the R, G, and B curves for the negative film (yes, I scan 35mm film) :

- Create a new 'Curves' layer.  
- Click the little arrow at the top right of the Curves properties window, and select "Auto Options...".  
- Click "Enhance Per Channel Contrast" and "Snap Neutral Midtones", and set the shadow and highlight clipping to "0.01".  
- Click "Save as Defaults" and then "ok" out of the Auto Options window, and now click the "Auto" button.  

Auto_Colour.jpeg?format=750w

What I've just done is to normalize the R, G, and B curves for the negative film.

A little background: essentially, negative film has characteristic curves for R, G, and B light.  But these are not coincident with each other.  If you were to take a photograph of a neutral grey patch and look at the histogram of the negative, you'd find that the blue channel would have the highest intensity, followed by green, and then red.  What you need is, for a neutral grey patch, to ensure that R = G = B (that, indeed, is the RGB *definition* of "grey"). So in this curves layer, you're correcting for this R, G, B curve offset by forcing the histogram for each colour to use the entire histogram range (that is, you are enhancing the per channel contrast...as per the Auto Option box you checked above).

I need to do the same using the Affinity Photo that I have just bought it :)
Any way to do this ?

Thanks

Zero answers is not good ://

Ok, if you want to ensure that R = G = B channels are equal, what you do ? 
Like I have mentioned the the idea is correcting this R, G, B curve offset by forcing the histogram for each color to use the entire histogram range.

Any approach ? Any Gurus here ?
Thanks

As far as I'm aware, for now AP has no Auto Correct Settings like the ones in PS; you have to do it manually using curves and/or levels... Just go into each channel and set the black, white and gamma points manually... If you can somehow figure out a standard shift, you may want to save it as a preset. Hope that helps...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17