You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Deleting selection leaves part of it behind

Hi,

I have gone to Select -> Select Sampled Colour and chosen a black colour (part of the background) in my image.
I've then hit "deleted" to remove it; however a light grey background remains over the transparent portion.

Some additional information:

• The file opened was a PSD
  • The background is a single pixel layer
  • Using the erase tool removes the background completely as expected
  • Same is true for the brush selection tool -- I select some background, hit delete and it's gone.

Does anyone know why this might be?

Appreciate any input!

14 minutes ago, anon2 said:

Select Sampled Colour makes a fuzzy selection - each pixel of a selection can be partially selected in the same way as a pixel of a mask can have partial opacity.

I see, that makes sense. Is there any way to force it to fully select the pixels? I had a look around in the menu but didn't see any options that might help.

13 minutes ago, Kalyori said:

I see, that makes sense. Is there any way to force it to fully select the pixels? I had a look around in the menu but didn't see any options that might help.

You might find that the Flood Select Tool makes the selection you want, and that tool makes a binary selection.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then make a mask from the fuzzy selection and apply an alpha-targeting Levels Adjustment to the mask to threshold the mask. Then you can merge the mask into the pixel layer if you prefer to work destructively.

5 hours ago, anon2 said:

You might find that the Flood Select Tool makes the selection you want, and that tool makes a binary selection.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then make a mask from the fuzzy selection and apply an alpha-targeting Levels Adjustment to the mask to threshold the mask. Then you can merge the mask into the pixel layer if you prefer to work destructively.

Yes, the flood tool works well - thank you. Interesting what you mentioned about the mask + alpha-targeting - will keep that in mind.